Buzzbox checkout ?

I've priced the Lincoln AC/DC-225/125 Stick Welder on the net and found prices from about $403 to $438 plus possibly shipping and/or tax added to that. I found a "used" one for $275 cash and carry.

The fellow says he bought it about two years ago for $400 plus tax and thought he'd use it on the farm much more than he has -- every time something breaks down it's out in the field and the leads don't reach. So he has decided to sell it.

It has basically no extras with it - 15-20 feet leads, manual, flip down hood and gloves - but APPEARS to be in new condition. He said he used it for just a couple of projects and doesn't use it enough to keep it around.

Question: How do I go about testing this welder to be sure he hasn't hurt it by not providing enough current to it -- if this is possible? I think the manual says provide a 50 amp circuit and he only has a # 10 wire run to it - for about 75 to 100 feet.

Is it possible it was damaged internally by not providing enough current capacity to it?

Exceeding the duty cycle rating?

What should I look for and how could I test this out? I'm not a welder but did burn a few rods years ago.

He said he'd hold it for me. Should I take a welder with me when I go to check it out and pick it up? I looked at it before but didn't try to weld with it. We didn't get together on the price and he thought he had someone else willing to pay his asking price. My offer, at the time, might have been a bit low ($235) but I hadn't checked on the net to see what they were going for.

Any pointers and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Al Patrick

No. The only thing that can happen in that case is that the breaker in the service panel will trip if the welder demands more current than the breaker is rated to provide. Not a problem for the welder. If the service wire is too small, *it* might get hot, but that won't harm the welder.

It has a thermal trip to enforce that.

These machines are hard to damage. Basically if it will let you strike an arc and run a bead, on both AC and DC, it is fine. About the only problems these machines can have are blown diodes (no DC), or burned switch contacts (no, or weak, arc in a particular switch position). Both problems are easy to fix. Give it a good visual inspection. If it is clean, and nothing is loose, the fan runs, and it'll let you strike an arc and run a bead, you're golden.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Your $400 price new sounds high, my local farm store has them for less.

As for the used one, the only thing I'd really worry about is the diodes. They can blow out. The rest is pretty bullet proof. If you can strike an arc on both AC and DC, you should be good.

I might add that by the time you buy some l> I've priced the Lincoln AC/DC-225/125 Stick Welder on the net and found

Reply to
Roy J

Thanks to Roy and Gary for the replies. It looks almost new. Seems one of the labels is a tiny bit soiled. :-) He said he only did a couple of projects with it and it surely doesn't look hurt. I believe we turned it on when I was there before and the fan came on. When I go back I'll try it out a bit, perhaps carrying a couple of rods with me. He mentioned that he could probably find a few around there, but just in case.

As to the helmet, he has one they were going to discard at his work place (apparently they got auto darkening ones) but I've already taken care of that part. I'll need to locate some longer and heavier leads.

What is your local farm store asking for this machine and where is it located?

Thanks again,

Al

=========================

Roy J wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

Reply to
Roy J

Just FYI, amazon.com has a good deal if you're looking for a buzzbox, $355 shipped for the Hobart stickmate LX 235 AC/DC - Has a decent manufacturers warantee, infinite amperage control. I picked one up to play with last month, very usable, and shiny.

-m

Reply to
matt

THANKS! I believe I'll be better off to pay $355 (delivered) for a brand new Hobart Stickmate LX 235 AC/DC (235 amp AC / 160 amp DC) welder with a new 5/3/1 year warranty than pay $275 for a 2 year old Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 with limited, if any, warranty. I don't know if this warranty would be transferable or not, if any is left. That's only $80 difference and I'd have to drive a ways to pick up the used Lincoln.

Al

===================

matt wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

Just in case it's not intuitively obvious, amazon's list price is something like ~$380.00 - Use the $25 off $199+ coupon good for their tools section to drop the price to $355. There should be a link to it on the product description page. I don't remember how long it lasts, think the coupon was good till near the end of the month.

-m

Reply to
matt

I had figured it out, EXCEPT that I didn't know the offer expired on Feb. 22. Glad you mentioned "near the end of the month" because I was planning to wait till early next month to order.

It is ordered! Estimated ship date 2/25 to 3/3/2004. Not sure where it will ship from but I'll look for it any time from 2/29 to about 3/7.

Thanks again for all the help -- from everyone.

Al

matt wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick