ALUMALOY

I saw a TV add for a new product that supposedly makes welding (brazing actually, I guess) repairs to aluminum much easier; it's called ALUMALOY. It comes in rods, requires no flux of any kind, and only requires propane gas temperature. Almost seems too good to be true ... anyone out there have any experience with this stuff?

Same company also makes a similar product for steel and cast-iron; however, in these cases, a type of flux is required.

-- Dave

Reply to
Dave

They are zinc/aluminum alloys. Every welding filler rod maker has a version of them.

I use them at school to demostrate the vesatility of gas welding. They doe "work", but are not nearly as strong as a real fusion weld. I keep the stuff around just in case. They are use a lot to repair small holes in aluminum gas tanks, boats, pontoons, whatever.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler