Aluminum soldering question

I'd really be grateful to anyone who can help me with advice on soldering
aluminum.
I'm making some smaller (about 16"w x 8"h) models and I'm trying to figure
out how to solder, or join the 1/8" aluminum solid wire I'm using for the
frames.
I was wondering about types of solder and methods like using a torch or iron
etc.
I've been using epoxy putty but it doesn't really have the strength, look,
or ease (speed) of working I'd like.
If anyone can help it'd be great. If you need help or advice with dogs or
something maybe I could return the favor...
Ted Sebastian
I've read that DuraFix is good. Try
-Ed
Reply to
ED Tyler
Durafix is good stuff but....just a fancy package that costs more than the stuff you can get at the local welding supply store, the rods are called SilFos and you will find that SilFos rods and a stainless steel brush to clean the parts cheaper than the Durafix kit.
Ben
Reply to
Ben
Ben;
Is that the same for Aladdin 3 in 1 rod?
There seems to be so many of these so called wonder rods out there that I have to ask are they all just repackage rods available at any welding shop. If they are can someone out their tell us amateurs where to get more info on these special rods so we can make an informed purchase?
Zack
Reply to
Zack
These are the same repackaged rods, don't buy them SilFos will do, the only difference that these rods may have is the fact that they may have a flux coating, just really clean the metal with a stainless brush and all is good, if you want flux just ask the guy at the welding shop what to use. The torch can be a just a propane torch you can pick up at any hardware the melting point of the SilFos is 720 or so degrees.
SilFos comes in different Silver content (it is silver solder really) just look up silfos or silver soldering on google and you should get the info you need. but a Generic SilFos rod will more than likely do for your application.
Ben
Reply to
Ben
Ben:
So let me get this straight, your saying when we use these over priced so called specialty rods we are actually soldering or brazing aluminum with silver solder?
Is there one brand of Silfos that works better than another and what flux do you personally recommend.
Thanks in advance for the info
Zack
Reply to
Zack
That is exactly what I am saying the content of silver is low but silver solder none the less.
As far as I know there is no real brand of SilFos I am an amateur as well here in the welding area, but just ask for SilFos and the guys should know what to get. As far as flux I generally don't use any I just really clean the metal of oxidation with stainless steel brushes, critical that you have stainless though.
Ben
Reply to
Ben
Eh? Durafix is a cellulose based glue!
Dave.
Reply to
spitfire2
I braze or solder oil/air separators with durafix (I'm sure there other brands of the same stuff - even HF sells the stuff) . Go to
for info. Bill
Reply to
Stogy