Which Welder for Pipe Fences?

Here's a question for pipe fence builders. I'm just learning to weld, with the intention to helping my dad put up a fence. I expect to be working with steel in the 3/16- 1/4 inch
range. Ideally I would get a Lincoln Ranger, but money is an issue. Insted I plan on getting either a Lincoln MIG welder and an appropriate generator, or a Lincoln Power Arc 4000 125Amp weleder/generator combo.
The Lincoln SP-135 fits my budget, and it sounds like it will run off of a 4Kw generator, but the metal thickness we are working with is at the extreme maximum of it's range and a 20% duty cycle sounds like I will be doing a lot of standing around.
The Lincoln SP-175 isn't too much more, but the generator required to power it probably would be. But I would be happy to spend the money rather than getting something that didn't do the job.
My only reservation about the Power Arc is that I would like to be able to run the welder without running the generation when I have access to a household power supply, and I don't think that is an option with this welder.
I've been researching this for a week, and I still can't figure out the best way to go. If anyone has some avice that would get me welding, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
eh, how many miles of fencing you planning on putting up?
Thanks in advance.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (tjs) wrote:

If that is the unit I think it is, I'd suggest a nice cheap used tombstone - they are available cheap, they are hard to kill, and the work. Also get a generator (nice, used, and cheap if you can get it, otherwise make the needed choices).

I think you are going to have to *spend* some money if you want to weld out of the back of your truck especially with the power range you mention. The Power Arc and the Ranger would be fine for those thickness but you'll have trouble on thin stuff with them. It sounds like awful thick material unless you are holding back livestock. A wire feed welder would give you more range to include thin stuff that most fences are made from. The Ranger with an LN-25 wire feeder would be a really nice setup for what you plan but we're talking money. There's always the rental option too or make sections in the shop and gas weld them together in the field. I've done that before with great success.
I am in the same boat,, I am going to build horse panels and repair the old ones also. I looked at the Lincoln but after talking to the welding shop and doing research I went to the miller135. I tried thin wall using flux core but the solid wire did better by a long shot... I would spend the money for a miller if you can. It is only about $100 - $150 more at the most.. I am glad I bought the miller and I do run it off a 5500 generator along with grinders and a saws-all. Check out the miller. how many Lincoln do you see in the back of a truck.. now look for millers.
Just my .02c. one newbee to another doing panels or fence.

Make your own: :-)
check out
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~weinfurt/gaswelder.html
posted by G. Cooper under the heading of "interesting cheap homebrew engine-driven welder"
Al
tjs wrote:

For what it's worth I have a Hobart 175 and a portable generator. I use sch 40 and used oil field pipe. jj