what welder for sculpture armatures

Hi, I'm new here and hope you can give me some advice. I would like to weld armatures together from rebar and/or steel rod for concrete sculptures. The
welds don't have to be pretty because they will be covered. Also, a few years ago I bought a very nice Hobart Mig welder, which I never learned to use. The wire feeder kept having problems. I got frustrated and sold it. Because of this I would like to try stick welding, thinking it will be simpler, less moving parts, and maybe I'll have more sucess. I also don't want to hassle with gas. Can you recommend a machine for me that will weld light rods? The largest sculpture will likely be 5 feet tall.
Thanks Lee
MIG welding is the easiest technique available. Almost anyone can make a decent weld with a MIG unit.
Arc welding, on the other hand, takes a little more time to master. I used to work in a shop where some of the welders never were able to get an arc machine to weld for them.
Sounds like you needed to spend a little more time with your MIG unit. Maybe even operate it in flux core mode if you were welding outside.
Hope you understand, and I hope this helps.
"tabriz" wrote...

a 120 volt Mig welder with flux core wire would be my first choice. Pull the trigger, weld away. It will handle 3/8" rebar nicely, 1/2" rebar will take a bit more heat. I wouldn't use a 120 volt unit for 5/8" and up. Price is in the $200 to $350 range depending on what you buy. Miller or Lincoln are always a good choice. Beware of the really cheap imports, no parts, no service, and horrible duty cycle.
An AC buzzbox welder (Lincoln 'tombstone' and Miller thunderbolt) will do a nice job on your application, it's just a bit longer on the learning cycle. Getting the hang of arc strikes may take an hour or two, other than that it is the same weld as the flux core mig. The downside of these is that you really want the 240 volt units. The 120 volt units work for what you want to do but they are miserable to start an arc, have low amperage, and minimal duty cycle. But the 240 units want a 50 amp 240 volt plug. Non trivial with today's copper prices.
You can usually find the 240 volt units on craigslist and other bulletin boards for reasonable prices. I bought a 225 amp 240 volt Craftsman for $50, I see several Lincoln's a week for $75 to $200
tabriz wrote:

For welding rebars, I personally think stick is more versatile.

This reminds me of a problem from the early days of the space race, when the US and the Russians were looking at the way to have a writing utensil for zero G. The US spent about $1 million to create a new ballpoint pen, and the Russians just grabbed some pencils off the shelf..... Brian

myth

Alse, learning details about that myth is highly educational about how people live in space. Highly recommended.