Making Ball Sculpture/Kugelbahn

I'd like a little advice on narrowing down the choice of a welder, please. I'd like to make some of the rolling ball sculptures and some other smallish sculptures. It will be fairly light weight, indoor kind of stuff. There will be no massive multi-ton "industrial" sculpture. For the ball sculptures, this is close to what I'm thinking of:

Here is a nicely-done little sculpture like what I'm thinking of:
Some of the sculptures might have some heavier elements, like the supports for this rolling ball sculpture:
I plan on using O/A to weld the heavier stuff, but I'm really curious as to what would be a good machine to weld the "wire" cage that the balls roll in.

I'd think that a basic 110V mig welder would be ideal for this, or am I missing something? I have a 220V outlet, so I might get a 220V welder, but probaly not because of the extra cost. Or, am I making this more complex than it needs to be, and brazing would be better?

Any one built somthing similar? I plan on using welding rod to get started with the ball-races, but I'm sure I'll move on regular ~ 1/8" steel rod. I plan on making a set of discs, or maybe a set cones, that I can use to bend the races. I figure that and a peg board should work to bend just about any raceway I'd want.

I have a decent metal/wood shop... metal lathe, drill press, etc... If anyone would like a little more info, I have the basics of a site up at:

Right now there's not too much up, just a bit about some of the tools, but I'll be adding more.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Polaski

Reply to
Jeff Polaski

If you already have oxyacetylene, you can use it for small work with small tips. In some cases, it will be easier to braze than weld, so OA is good for that also. No matter the process, the thinner the material, the harder it is to weld, brazing is almost always easier for thin or small material.

My opinion is that TIG would be better than Mig for what you are doing, but it is pricy. I think that I would start off with OA, which you apparently already have.

Richard

Jeff Polaski wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Don't have any advice but that first ball scuplture is cooler ice.

Reply to
Hopsaddict

Check out

for more ball machines!

Reply to
Lane

Hi:

You might try

It is a stupendous resource for RBS.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks, they are a great resource! For example, one thing that might be of use to the welding/metalworking crowd was a suggestion (by Eddie Boes) for bending wire smoothly--use a traffic cone filled with concrete! I've re-posted a fragment of the original message, below

(The link to his cone description was no longer working, but you can visit his site at:

Today I picked up a cone and a 90 lb. bag of cement from the local Home Depot and started... It looks like it'll work perfectly, so any one else that has similar wire bending needs might give it a try! If any one's interested I'll keep the groups updated in a few days, after I've actually bent some wire.

Reply to
Jeff Polaski