Hobart GPB-258 Gas powered welder

A friend gave me a old Hobart welder last week that's been sitting in his garage the last 15 years. It ran fine when he put it away, but over time coolant seeped past the head gasket into cylinder 1 & 2. It's from the 40's or 50's but has a CJ2A jeep engine so engine parts are available. Can't bring myself to scrap it, so the blocks getting bored out to remove the rust and it's getting new pistons, valves, bearings etc. The flathead CJ2A engine is a real antique - 3 1/8" bore X 4 3/8" stroke and 38 hp @ 1800 rpm. Not exactly a screamer. The manual says it's good for 325amps@40 volts, and 60% duty cycle @

250 amps so I guess it's enough HP to do the job.

If all works out, it's first use will be building a bridge over a small stream in the back. About a 20' span will be needed to clear the entire stream bed plus a few feet on each side. I have about 1250 feet of 3/8" thick 3" x 5" angle steel that's a little rusty from sitting around for about 10 years but would be good for this project. Thinking of a simple truss structure set on concrete piers on each side. Hope to use the backhoe to place the steel. Anyone in the group have one of these old Hobart machines? I think it's also referred to as the "Pipeliner" model. It's mounted on a 2 wheel trailer, but the trailer is probably not Hobart.

Reply to
oldjag

Lots of similar features. The armature & exciter brushes on my unit seem to have about 3/8" left before they are used up, but I'm told they last a long time and can be had from a brush supplier. One old time welder told me the DC output on these generator units is smoother than on single or 3 phase transformer welders due to the low ripple current. This being a function of the a 32 or so segment commutator. Guess a new inverter type unit could in theory be as smooth or better. I have a large shunt that I want to install on the unit for a welding current meter. There are two cover plates on the control panel that look like they might accept a round amp meter. I need to check ebay for a ruggedized weather tight MA meter that will fit. Your unit looks to have similar covers on the control panel.

Reply to
oldjag

What's on the side of the block in #5? Bondo patches?

Reply to
David Lesher

Bubble gum. You were expecting a new head gasket or something?

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do you have a manual for the Hobart welder? I have a welder just like it and I am in need on some of the wiring information. Mine is a Hobart 250 Spec# 2489C Model GPB-258. The shunt coils on the welder went bad and I was able to find someone to make some replacements. The person that removed the old coils has since gone MIA, so we are not certain how to correctly wire them! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Danny Leger