Ping Tim. Lots of gear blanks.

I have just about finished making gear blanks for the HLV apron. There are 11 blanks for the twelve gears because one of the blanks will serve for two finished gears.

All of the blanks are nominally 4" long with 1/2", centered, ends. One of the blanks, the one right in the middle of the picture still has a 2 1/2" long arbour, but I'll make a new arbour for that this week.

Can I arrange a mutually inconvenient time to pay you a visit and borrow the use of your hobbing machine please?

Yesterday I emailed off an order to Ketan and his mates at Arc Euro Trade. 47 assorted ball and needle roller bearings!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

You have been a busy boy

It'll have to wait a couple of weeks, until I get the DSG lathe in it's proper place. I had what I thought was one job to do with it more or less straight away, decided to get that done while the machine was just inside the door & deal with the final move afterwards. Trouble is, other jobs have developed on the same boat, the lathe's been pretty busy, & I haven't got near the 'one' job yet. At present, the hobber is buried behind the Bridgeport which had to be shoved out of the way to get the lathe in, so that's also unuseable....

No beer for you for a couple of months, then!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Sounds to me that Tim needs a man to come over and move and install his machines for him Mark

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Make that a big man with a crowbar

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Or a fairy of the ferrous variety?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

No room for one of them :-(

Have you got one in your back pocket?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I've got a 2 ton 8' wide 7'-10' tall gantry crane, but I've no longer got a vehicle that it will fit in :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That would have been ideal for unloading the DSG off the trailer, but not much use inside the building.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

It was modified specifically to fit in my workshop and down the gap between the house and the garage. The A-frames on the ends might be narrower than would be accepted by my works safety officer at 39" wide, but any wider wouldn't fit. It'll just go through the 4'x8' door way into the shed without taking the door off. Having height adjusters on the ends means that moving heavy kit is easy. Wind one end up half an inch, lift the load with the chain block and let the trolley run to the end of the beam. Lower the load then shunt the gantry along. repeat as needed. It even works going up the 1:10 sloped path up to the shed.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Damn.. Wished I'd known what these blanks were for, but you hate to know what I sent to the scrappy last summer! But maybe you didn't need em them ;)

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Shit happens, regularly. If you ever came across any spare apron drive motors and gearboxes, you could probably get £250 a piece without trying.

This project should end up pretty much as good as new, but the replacement parts might not be identical with what the originals were.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Moving the DSG within my shed isn't proving too difficult, so far. It's sitting on some steel plates, & I dragged it (3 tons roughly) about 4 feet on my own this evening, only another 8 feet to go. The hard part is going to be moving the stuff which is now where the lathe is going, to where it's been!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Actually had an unplanned but successful day today. Roy who works for me from time to time called in to help me with another job for an hour this morning, on his way to his current work at another boatyard. His other 'employer' rang to say there was a snag, he wouldn't be needed today, so I changed plan & we set to moving the big lathe into place. All done & roughly levelled by this evening, including shunting some fairly heavy items around from ahead of the lathe to behind it.

On the subject of levelling, the book recommends levelling from the carriage for fore-and-aft level, and then turning a test bar & running a clock, mounted on the carriage, along the top of the bar so as to ascertain how to tweak the leveling screws at the headstock end. The headstock/gearbox end is very heavy, probably half the weight of the lathe, with four levelling screws in its base so it can be 'bent' very slightly relative to the bed for the final adjustment. Given that it's a 50 year old machine which has done a fair bit of work, there is some wear in the bed, mainly on the front shear. Ought I still follow their directions for working from the carriage, or just try to get the bed as level as I can? I'm not expecting super precision from this machine, but I might as well try to get it somewhere near right.

Mark, don't get excited just yet, there's still quite a bit to do before I'll be able to 'find' the hobber ;-)

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

It's nice to have helpers that aren't a liability!

I would use the carriage, for two reasons.

1) The movement of the carriage is what defines the movement of the tool.

2) It's less work to mount the precision level on the carriage than it is to machine and scrape a V block and corresponding flat spacer block to go between the level and the ways.

Following that, The test bar should get the headstock dialled in for any short work.

These thoughts are worth exactly what they cost :-)

I'm not in any hurry. I've been sketching out the design for a toolpost grinder, based on the materials, motor and bearings I have. I'll need the grinder to finish off the needle roller journals on the shafts, once I've made them.

Who knows, I could even go back to re-conditioning the Beaver mill, like I was intending to do this winter before the Hardinge turned up.... Anything to avoid house work and gardening :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Anything to

While you are travelling the country using randomly located machines you are welcome to use my cylindrical grinder for your journals !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hmm. Visions of, otherwise undreamt of, accuracy. Can I hold that offer in reserve until I've proved that I can't build a decent, balanceable, vibration free, grit collecting, toolpost grinder?

Have you managed cast iron in that hellhole of yours yet?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Are you interested in most af a Duplex toolpost grinder as a starting point?

Tim

Tim Leech

Oh yes !

AWEM