Lots & lots of Fulcrums

Howdy,

I've been compiling a list of MiG-29A's (maybe I'll build them all ... yeah, right) in 1/72 and I noticed a heck of a difference in some different kits from the same manufacturer. For example, Hasegawa kit 00541 is $12.75, but kit 00124 is $20.80, and the Fujimis are $12.75 & $23.40 for 26018 & 35115, respectively. (prices @ Great Models)

Now I've heard that these are two of the worse kits around (because they were done before the USSR collapsed). So my question is, are the more expensive kits new models? And if so, are they better?

Thanks,

Bill Perez

In other words, this is a pivotal point in your life.......

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Bill,

AFAIK, the newer issues have not been retooled (but later Hasegawa kits include an updated missiles sprue that was not in the initial issue).

HTH,

Andre

Reply to
Andre van der Hoek

The accepted wisdom is that there is no really accurate MiG-29 in 1:72 scale - just as there is no accurate Sukhoi Su-27.

The best MiG-29 is the Italeri kit - although it has its faults.

Forget all issues of the Hasegawa & Fujimi MiG-29's - unless you are not concerned with accuracy.

Replace the wheels on the Italeri kit (they are way too small) - and you have a reasonable replica.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

Thanks for the info. Does this include the Eastern manufacturers? One would think that Zvezda & Kopro would have more examples to work with (IIRC, they make the best MiG-23MF & Su-25, respectively.)

Bill Perez

Good to know. Thanks!

Bill Perez

SNIP

I've seen some here in the UK under the brandname 'Kitech' which is probably a rebox of one of the above, any ideas which? (It's priced at £2.49! Cheap!)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

The Zvezda is not so good, the Kopro/Mastercraft is not so bad. In general shape and panel lines position it's more accurate than the Italeri (compared to 4+ drawings), but the panel lines are raised and small parts lack detail. The Bilek is the Italeri kit with different decals. The Eastern Express MiG-29A should be a reissue of the Nakotne. I haven't seen the Kondor because they are difficult to get in the west, but I think it will be reissued by Eastern Express (Hannants lists it as a future release). From what I heard it should be accurate (and it's the only Fulcrum C available) but with less detail than the Italeri kit.

So, I think the more accurate (or the least inaccurate) is still the Italeri kit. Btw there are also some nice aftermarket parts for the Fulcrum from Parts & Extratech (photoetc.), Tally Ho (resin nozzles) and Neomega (seat and cockpit: really nice, but with a couple of shape errors that must be fixed).

My 0.02

Reply to
Yuri

Fulcrum A KP = Kondor

Reply to
Julian Herrero 'yuri'

Really? So this would mean the Kondor kit isn't a Fulcrum-C (9-13) as the box says. I have the KP kit and it's a standard Fulcrum-A (9-12) with even optional 2 seat cockpit for the MiG-29UB.

Reply to
Yuri