Source for thin spanners

Hi Chaps,

I need a 7/8 inch spanner that is thinner than 4.5mm thick. This is so I can grip a thin nut without also gripping the locknut on top of it. This in turn is so I can undo them, because the thread they're locked to can rotate and there's no way to grip that directly.

I really don't want to make a spanner so can anyone tell me a place that supplies thin spanners ? I googled "thin spanner" without success but maybe there's a technical term that would work better ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

Don't know the spanner widths used on Brit bicycles, but thin spanners are often needed for bicycle repair. So I would have a look at that kind of shops. Or grasp for my angle-grinder ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

In article , Boo writes

Bicycle spanners used to be made from pressed steel, and should be thin enough. Whether you can find a 7/8" one is another matter.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Try a cycle shop.

There used to be all sorts of sizes of cycle spanners about 1/8" thick if I remember right -- cone spanners etc. Maybe a 'well-established' shop might still have some ?

I might have some 'somewhere' if you really don't want to make one,

Cheers, Peter W.

Reply to
Peter

Yeah. It generally involves a normal thickness spanner, and a grinder ;-)

I don't think I've ever seen any thin spanner in any catalogues, other than cycle ones...

Reply to
moray

If all else fails, 4mm gauge plate, hacksaw and file a 22.3mm or so wide gash into it. Cheapest spanner you can find and an angle grinder.

HTH

Reply to
John Montrose

On or around Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:11:45 +0000, Boo enlightened us thusly:

in the bicycle world, they're known as "cone spanners", but I've not seen one that big.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The Taig/Peatol lathe spindle spanner is less than 4mm thick but is 1"

- I suppose you could braze on a strip of 1/8" material to pack it out...

Part number 1252 -

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

When I had a similar requirment I hacksawed a slice in the thickness off a normal spanner.

Other people prefer grinders.

Good spanners are available cheaply and in quantity at car boot sales.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Angle grinder spanner and grind the locking tabs off?

(how you will next change the disk in your grinder is left as an exercise for the reader ;-) )

Zed

bugbear wrote:

Reply to
zedbert

Do you need the spanner for opening the nut? In most cases not me, even without a quick-release nut.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Thanks all for the suggestions. I had already thought of bike spanners but they're all metric nowadays and I couldn't find a 22mm one to file out. I'll just have to make my own out of thin plate as suggested here. (I really can't believe I have to make a _spanner_ now of all things :-( )

Thanks again,

Reply to
Boo

.....and I really can't believe you've spent so much time and effort deliberating when you could have made something from scrap in about ten minutes! :-} --

Chris Edwards

No point rushing into things :-)

Reply to
Boo

Hi Nick,

being a desk based IT wonk during the day means I have not the muscle power to rip the disks out of my grinders, so I do indeed use the spanner.

Also, all my mangle grinders are far too cheep to have quick release nuts on them :-)

Zed

Nick Mueller wrote:

Reply to
zedbert

Get a cast-iron mouse and use sanding paper as a mouse-pad. Switch hands frequently.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Might be more than you want to pay, but I got one of these because it was simpler than turning up a replacement for a lost nut:-

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand