Thickening agents for enamel?

Are there any such products with the sole purpose of thickening paint?

Reply to
Wayne

Wayne offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

I find that *time* is the best agent for thickening paint!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Leave the bottle uncapped for a couple of days.

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

I remember reading how to keep gloss white enamel from yellowing a while back, Can somebody please give a refresher course.

Note: I use the Testors brand of paint cut to a 50-50 mix with Dupont

3812S fast dry emamel reducer in my Badger350 airbrush with CO2 bottle.

Thanks........Stan

Reply to
BAD 4 GOOD

I've seen thickeners for artist's paints, but those aren't intended to fix paints that are too thin; they're used when the artist wants a gel-like consistency, so he can 'sculpt' it with his brush for a thick textured surface. No need for that with models, we achieve much the same effect by building up the surface with putty before painting it.

If your paint is too thin, there are three practical cures:

1) Probe the bottom of the jar with a stir stick; if there's sludge at the bottom, the paint only seems thin because most of the pigment has settled. Scrape it loose and mix it back into the paint until it's smooth. 2) Mix it with another jar of the same paint (type and color) that happens to be thicker than you want. 3) Leave the lid off for a few days, stirring & checking it now and then, until enough thinner evaporates to bring it to the desired consistency.
Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

If you want to increase opacity, there isn't really anything available. You can evaporate off excess thinner, I suppose. If you want to thicken it to a heavier consistency to add some surface texture, stir in talcum powder. A small amount will turn gloss paints flat. More will give the paint a putty-like consistency. When I need to add cast steel texture to parts made from resin or epoxy putty, I use thickened enamel paint stippled with a nylon brush. Gunze Sngyo makes a similar product called Mr. Surfacer to add texture prior to painting. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

Add a drop of blue paint to preemptively kill the yellow. Only a little--you don't want to turn the mix sky blue, after all. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

Also, if you want white shirts to look really bright, add a small amount of the blue block to the wash.

Reply to
Wayne

Thanks Gerald, I deal with testors paints only using the 1/4 oz and the 1/2 oz bottles. Would that be 1 drop to the 1/4? 2 for a 1/2 ? Will using the light sky blue work , or just the regular#1108 lt.blue?

Thanks........Stan

Reply to
BAD 4 GOOD

Ever Tried the better Acrylics?...The Testor's I've used couldn't compare to the Tamiya Acrylics. Testor's Master should only be considered as a ditch effort for some quick paint. The Tamiya gloss or flat apply so much smoother and the finish is top-shelf. Lots of my customers prefer my work finished in acrylics.

Reply to
GlickFurn