Hougen Magnetic Drill Question

I picked up a Hougen Magnetic drill (Model #10904) a while back for a project where I needed to make about 1600-1700 5/16" diamter holes through a 3/8" thick 1-1/2' x 2' mild steel plate, because that would be to much for my mini-mill. ' Unfortunately, I may have to sell the drill before I can start the project.

I decided to test it out and I'm having difficulty. I was hoping someone with a mag drill can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I can turn the magnet on, but I can't get the drill to start. The magnet doesn't appear to be that strong, but that could be because I don't have the drill sitting on the recommended 3/8" (minimum) thick metal it is supposed to operate on. (I never got around to getting the

3/8" thick steel I needed for the original project).

Perhaps a problem can be the safety switch adjustment. Could there be a grounding problem? A blown fuse? Or perhaps the problem is the On/ Off switch.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to