I have a magnetic drill, an old looking one.
The drill motor works, the magnet does not.
I investigated the magnet a little bit. Here's what I found:1) The bridge rectifier that was there, blows the breaker on the electrical surge suppressor outlet
2) I replaced the old rectifier with another one that I had3) Still no action on the magnet
4) There is a mysterious to me multiple position switch and resistors and the switch appears to have arcing damage5) The magnet works if 110 volts DC is applied to it , bypassing the above switch.
I admit that I have never seen one of those in action and I do not understand what function does the switch perform. Does it only turn the magnet on and off and perhaps provide different magnetic strength?
Or does it provide a demagnetizing function somehow? (I would expect it to be unlikely as AC does not go into the switch).
I could take the easy route, junk everything, and replace it with a new rectifier, connected directly to thhe magnet, and a AC input switch.
My question is,1) how functionality much would I be missing with such simple wiring? 2) Given that the DC current at 110 volts is about 1.2 amps, how likely would I be to overheat the magnet? (about 130 watts) 3) Anything else that I am missing?
I need to use this drill badly for two projects.