Help with identifying lathe

I have access to a lathe that has the following on the nameplate. Machine World Taiwan Co Ltd TY-36 552 June 1979

It works and has a lot of tools that go with it including a second chuck.

My friend was a gunsmith and passed away a few years ago. His wife wants to get rid of the machine. I'm trying to find out what I can about it so we can get a fair price. I've googled on "Machine World" etc but can't find anything out about the unit or the company. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
justahunter

Without a couple detailed pictures..it will be impossible to tell you what it is.

The Taiwanese made many different types and qualities of lathes, and then put labels on them for whatever consortium would buy a batch of them. Say the factory made 100 Mod 1s. They would paint and label 50 for XYZ Tool Importer in Hoboken and 10 for Bobs Machine Tool Sales in Pacoima, and so forth.

If you can post some photos to the drop box in

we can do our best at identifying what you have and maybe helping you set a fair price.

I should mention that while 70s Taiwane lathes were made fairly or quite well..they often dont sell very high. On the other hand...when you add in the other tooling and chucks and whatnot..it might sell for a good price.

Also, mention the state or area the lathe is in. It often makes a big difference on the value to a buyer. Some places have lots of machines..prices would be lower than places that have few machines.

Gunner

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks for the information. I'll get over there and get some pictures. The lathe is located in Castle Rock, Colorado.

Reply to
justahunter

I'd add that parts are likely to be unobtainable.

Reply to
Rex

The pictures are in the dropbox at

as tatcolathe1 thru 7. Sure would appreciate anybody who can view the pics and offer an estimated value. Thanks.

Reply to
justahunter

As Gunner indicated, critical information is missing:

1 - Location 2 - size (it DOES matter)

But, I'll take a shot at it. You never gave a location, I'm in North Texas. If I ran across this item at, say, an estate sale.... Rust was only surface rust, and no obvious wear.... It ran under power with no rude noises.... With the usual tooling - 2 chucks, steady rest, toolholders, any extra change gears, live and dead centers etc. I would pay up to $500, and would be surprised if I couldn't buy it for less

Based entirely on the photos Clean it up some and you would do a little better better.

Reply to
Rex

Clean it up, and it would go for $800-1k

I finally got a chance to look at the pics. Its a typical Taiwanese lathe, with features of both Clausing and Logan lathes. Id not be surprised if one examined a Jet of the same era..one would find a match.

Its probably a decent enough lathe, based on my experiences with others very similar.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner