Help with collet adapter for Logan lathe?

From searching newsgroups I am hoping that you guys may be able to help me.

I recently bought an 11" Logan lathe in nice condition. Included with the unit was the Logan "production" collet closer setup (the lever is to the left of the headstock) but missing the business end: the spindle nose thread protector and the collet adapter.

I found an NOS thread protector on eBay and the guy also sold me an NOS adapter. Both really are NOS and beautiful, but the adapter turned out to be the wrong one. So:

1) The adapter that I have is OAL 2.56" with the tapered section 2" long, tapering from approx. 1.505" to approx. 1.405 inches. This works out to about 2.8 degrees or 0.600" per foot. (Pretty close to a 4 1/2 MT which is 0.624/foot and a 1.5" big end opening.) Any idea what it fits? There is one of these that appears to be identical on eBay right now:
2) My Logan spindle nose is approx. 1.6" ID at the end. According to the lathe info I have, the taper is 2 degrees. Scott Logan has new collet adapters but they are north of $200 and this is just an old fart's home/garage lathe that doesn't do much work and doesn't make any money. So I'm looking to get set up much cheaper. Does anyone have an adapter to sell?

BTW, if anyone lusts after a Logan "production" closer I would be willing to horsetrade for a handwheel closer, complete, which would be perfectly adequate for my needs.

Thanks in advance, Geo. Anderson

Reply to
Geo. Anderson

You might check with Royal. They'll know the correct taper. I think the adapter for mine (Delta 11") was around $125-150 or so.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

I may..may have a couple of them. Email me a reminder and Ill look for them this weekend. Yours for the asking if I have one.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

I'm glad somebody said that - I was going to but got distracted. My first 9" SB had a lever closer, and I went out of my way to find one for the 10 machines. They are unbelieveably handy and can be used for other stuff like swaging small tubing to size as well.

Like they say, a) try Royal, and b) keep the lever closer.

Jim

jim rozen

You may want to contact Scott Logan at Logan Actuator Company at (815)

943-9500. His web page is at
Dave Young
Reply to
Dave Young

You apparently did not read back to the start of the thread, where the original poster said (in part):

====================================================================== Scott Logan has new collet adapters but they are north of $200 and this is just an old fart's home/garage lathe that doesn't do much work and doesn't make any money. So I'm looking to get set up much cheaper. ======================================================================

So he already *knows* about Scott Logan.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks for the comments gents. It appears that I have a swap opportunity that will get me the adapter that I need. I will also consider carefully the advice to keep the lever closer.

Geo.

Geo. Anders> From searching newsgroups I am hoping that you guys may be able to help > me.

Reply to
Geo. Anderson

Yup...you're right....my bad...

Dave