Need help with Southbend Lathe Collet Attachment

I badly need help getting a 6-K handlever-type collet attachment back into operation on a Southbend (SB) 10-K lathe. If anyone has any experience or expertise in SB drawbars/collet attachments, I could really use your help. My 10-K lathe (used, good condition, estate sale) was set up by previous owner (deceased, so I can't ask him) to primarily use 3 & 4 jaw chucks but came with an apparently complete collet attachment & full set of 6-K collets. In trying to get the attachment back into service, it seems that some parts are either missing or worn out. I have a SB parts list that shows a take-up ring & screw & washer at the spindle end; this is missing from my machine. Looks like these might be needed in order to attach the drawbar. Parts list also shows a "key" or pin of some type that is supposed to fit in the sleeve-end of the draw bar where it slides into the spindle. Also shows a small pin or screw at the threaded-end of the spindle shaft that is supposed to keep the fitted collet from turning; this seems to be sheared off; can't tell if it was a straight or tapered pin, a screw-in or drive fit. If anyone can help, I would like to correspond with you via email or snail-mail. If you have a set of the original (SB) instructions on any of this, I would really like to get a copy. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
xantherx

This is a hand-lever type of collet attachment. The 10Ks use an internal key in the spindle to hold the collet, this is at the very front of the taper in the spindle where the collet seats.

Then there has to be a pin that is mounted to the headstock casting, upon which the arm mounts. Basically the arm is a link that connects the backside of the lever to the headstock.

South bend did not always drill and tap the required hole in all headstocks, when I got my first 10L it was missing that hole.

On the 10Ls is is also necessary to have different spindle gear to mount the lever-type closer, the gear has a larger diameter portion for the shank of the closer to drop into. I seem to recall that the

9" lever closer did not require a different gear, and that the shank of the closer dropped around the end of the spindle.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

The 10K uses a bit of a funky collet but if he has the set then there's no reason not to use them. As you say the lever closer is a big step up from a handwheel setup.

I found this out by accident, because my first 9" SB machine happened to come with one. It was so obviously superior to the other kind that when I traded up to a 10L, that was one thing I purchased with the lathe, and kept when I traded up to a better machine of the same type.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen