Stripped Spindle Thread Help

I have a 1979 Chev K10 with front wheel locking hubs.

The locknut and spindle thread (at the outer edge) has been partially stripped. The thread that is not damaged is still usable. I cannot remove the inner adjusting not because of the stripped portion. I have tried to grind the stripped thread away (protecting the good thread by undoing the adjusting nut up to the stripped thread) using carbide grinding bits. All I have achieved is destroying the bits and polishing the stripped thread.

I cannot use a steel file because the access is limited.

How can I remove the stripped thread? I believe the spindle is forged steel. I have contemplated using a cold steel chisel, but do not want to attempt until I have more info on possible solutions. Hoping someone can help Regards Tony

Reply to
Tony

Waynemak

What type of wheel would u suggest. I have tried with the wheels I have, but they are simply destroyed.

Reply to
Tony

I'd try using a Dremel tool with one of their cutoff wheels.

If I understand what you have, this should work.

Make two cuts 180 degrees apart, most of the way through but not all the way through so you don't damage your good threads. Then lightly wack it with a chisel to break it the rest of the way through.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Grinding wheels are made to run at a particular speed. When you run them too slowly, they behave as if they're soft. Assuming you have 1" diameter wheels, an acceptable speed to run them with success would be approximately

18,000 RPM. If you're running small wheels in a drill motor, I'd expect them to slough away instead of grind well.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Tks everyone. I will try your advice.

Reply to
Tony

Aluminum oxide will work or you have Kryptonite spindles... :)

I would assume the carbide was just breaking apart because of vibrations, etc.

Reply to
Joe

I suspect you are right. Very difficult to gain access, so a steady hand is required but very difficult to maintain. I also do not think I am running the bit fast enough. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Tony

No problem. Just let us now how it works out.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Dremel tool at very high speed with a suitable grind stone

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson