Remove locking wheel studs?

Recently I purchased a used car from a private party for my wife. A couple of days ago we noticed that there were wheel locks installed, so we called the seller, and of course, they have no idea where the keys are.

A quick call to the dealership and a quote of $180.00 to replace the key (!!!) and I am motivated to find a way to remove the locks without damaging the studs or wheels.

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:

I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills, c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It can't be too unusual of a situation....

Thanks,

-Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan

That doesn't look like any BMW locking nut I've seen over here in the UK but then again you never know with those crafty Germans!!.

If they are a BMW standard locking nut you should be able to get a BMW non-dealership type garages to remove them as they normally have a set of keys to suit all.I reckon thet the dealership is trying rip you off. Try posting a help notice on some of the UK BMW chat groups your more likely to find the info you need.

Had a Mercedes with the same problem had to get someone to cut them off with a blow torch eventually and I had to get four new alloys.... never mind the insurance company took care of it as they proved merecedes had buggered them up on the last service.

Good luck

Craig

Reply to
Two and a Half

Me too (in Germany)

Grrr :-)

BMW-dealers have them all and will open them. But, as it isn't one, I would weld that thing to one lump and open it. Take care that the ground of the welder is connected to the wheel or another nut on the _same_ wheel. If the ground is connected to the chassis, you will ruin your ball bearings. Use at least anti spatter spray to protect your rim.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

This probably isn't going to be much help, but if your spare tire sits down in a "well" in the trunk area, I would look for the special wrench to be laying down in there with the spare. I've never seen one made like this, but had a screwy one on a Chrysler one time I ended up Dremel'ing a slot in the head and backed it out with a big screwdriver and wrench. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Good advice. In fact, I'd literally tear the car apart looking for that lug nut key before I tried welding, hacking, drilling... or paying the dealer $180! Check under the seats, inside the seats, the glovebox, storage bins, tool kit, every recess of the trunk, under carpet, etc.

Was the seller the original owner of the car? Does he recall where he bought the wheel locks? Did he even remember ever having the keys? When was the last time he changed the tires and where did he have the work done?

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

You can buy a set of sockets for this. THey have internal teeth, and the ID is tapered. You pick the socket with the ID appropriate to your problem, tap it on with a hammer, then apply an air wrench.

Reply to
Rex

Are these the type where the outer turns free and can be removed by the key? If so, removing them can be difficult. I did hear of some locking wheel nuts like these that could be removed by whacking the head with a hammer. The lock innards shattered and the outer collar could be removed. Once you are at the actual bolt, removal becomes easier. How about joining a rescue organisation and managing to have a flat. The mechanic they send to help might know how to get them off. It can't be the first time the would have met the problem. Let us know how you manage it. Good luck.

John

Reply to
John Manders

LOL!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Not knowing that there are special sockets for this purpose, we used to just get a socket that was a little larger than the lug nut and beat it on with a hammer. Used an air impact wrench to do the rest. Never failed!

Good Luck.

Joe...

Reply to
JB

Heck, if you can afford a BMW you can spring for 180 bucks for the key.

Just find out their return policy first!

Jim (running, ducking)

Reply to
jim rozen

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

This is easy,

Go to an independent tire shop. They have a removal tool and can sell you a new set of wheel locks a whole lot cheaper than BMW will.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

What's a lug nut?

:^)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Buzz by a few tire shops and ask 'em. They might pop 'em off for "free" if you buy new lugnuts from 'em. Or, if your tires are worn, get new tires, tell them beforehand that you've got locking lugs with no key, and you want non-locking lugs by the time they finish. Then it's still roughly the $180 the dealership wanted, but you'll get new tires.

Reply to
B.B.

A baseball player for the minor league team in Lansing, Michigan!

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

That is an aftermarket lock. Drill out the key part and the spinning part will come out. Underneath is a standard hex stud.

Bob May

Look on Ebay. GM wanted 75 bucks for a key fob for my truck, had the alarm, lock etc. I picked up a new one on Ebay for 7 dollars.

Reply to
Grady

He's still got to get the old locks off though. That's the difficult bit. It's what the locks are meant to prevent.

John

Reply to
John Manders

The outer turns free until the key is used.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Reply to