Myford gearbox

Hi all,

I have a Myford ML7 with a standard gearbox (where you have to take the cover off etc.)

I am having to recondition it, as things were not quite right about it, but not having seen inside one previously, I am not sure what it is supposed to be like, so I have a few questions, and if someone can answer with photos, that would be great. My email for photos is david at revilloc dot com.

The problems I have...

  1. The screws supporting the banjo were not supporting it. One was a straight stud forced into the hole as the screw threads had been stripped, the other was going the same way, as the hole is a little worse for wear. I have repaired this and it seems to support it OK.

  1. On the banjo is a bar threaded both ends, with two flats to sit in the banjo. At the side of the flats are "wings", though one of these was missing and the other was bent in such a position as to be useless. This will have been due to overtightening the nut on the back. I have made a replacement. Do I need two? It looks like I do, if I am to have a second stud gear.

  2. With the stud in 2 above, if I stick two gears on it, then I have a space between the gears and the nut to hold them in place. What am I supposed to use here? Just a washer? does the nut have to be tight? What I am thinking is that this should be a bearing face...

  1. The gear immediately under the reversing gears (prior to stud1) appears to be just supported on the shaft, nothing holding it in place. There is a screw head in the end of the shaft. In use, this gear (which is actually a double gear) is sliding off of this shaft. How am I supposed to hold this gear in place?

Thanks. Dave Colliver.

Customise your internet experience

Dave

Dave, can your inbox cope with a 4.5Mb file?

If so i can mail you a myford manual. Is is for a super 7 but the bits you need are the same I think.

bobdotminchinatntlworlddotcom

Your gear studs don't sound correct. There should only be one nut and this is on the outboard side. There is a stud, a bronze bush, a sleeve with a key to connect two gears together, a shim washer to space the two gears apart, a bronze washer and a nut.

These combine to fix the 'spacer' problem you have.

yes, you need two sets of these.

The intermediate gear between the tumbler reverse and the change gears is held on by a screw that also doubles as an oil nipple to lubricate the gearshaft.

It sounds like your machine has suffered a little in the hands of its previous owner(s)

BTW I think we might have been in contact before concerning spindle moulder tooling?

Let me know if you want the manual. All the parts are shown in it.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Bob,

My inbox is not a problem.

I have the ML7 manual and can see the gearbox, but these are drawings, not photos and are not really too clear. The second half of the manual is all stuck togethor. Don't know what the previous owner was doing with it. Maybe a little bedtime reading...

So, the stud is held from the front? The wings stopping it from coming through from the back... This is how it is on my boxford, but this was held by a nut at the back. I have a collar with a key.

So, can you (or anyone) show me the end of the intermediate gear and a stud and its components, as well as another pic with the stud assembled with the gears? Then perhaps I can make something up to fix it.

In fact, I can see a photo of the tumbler cluster gear. It looks like it has a big washer holding the gear in place, so I just need a photo of the stud assembly. I can't unstick the assembly drawings. :-(

I can't recall anything about spindle moulder tooling. I don't know what it is...

Thanks. Dave.

Customise your internet experience

Dave

There is an actual manual for the gearbox, separate from the ML7 manual. You can get one from Myford - I did when I bought a s/h gearbox at an ME exhibition.

Dave(uk)

Reply to
speedy

I have the said manual on a PDF file which I down loaded from somewhere. If you can handle a 3.6mb attachment I can send it to you. just email me [remove the nospam] in the ID Cannt find the site where I got it from

There is an actual manual for the gearbox, separate from the ML7 manual. You can get one from Myford - I did when I bought a s/h gearbox at an ME exhibition.

Dave(uk)

Reply to
Mike D