Details for a Denham lathe c1900-1910

I have recently aquired a very old Denham lathe which Tony of lathe.com tells me is from around 1900 but unfortunately he doesn't have any manuals. Looking at pictures on the net those Denham lathes look nothing like mine. The motor/cluch/belt drive arrangement is very home made and I think the lathe was originally powered from a lay shaft. My problem is that I am trying to clean it up and get it operational but some parts were supplied loose. The gears driving the main threaded shaft at the front of the lathe all are working OK but I have attached the shaft at the rear of the lathe which has a keyway and a gear which appears to drive the cross slide. I have found from the pile of gears one which mates to the gear on the shaft and also drives another gear which is selectable with a lever on the back of the machine to drive the cross slide. This long shaft on the rear of the lathe can be driven either from a gear on the headstock or from a gear on the saddle, this is confusing me. Hope you can understand this ramble and if anyone has a Denham lathe like this in working order I would be most grateful for any information. If the pictures are not showing enough detail please let me know and I will take some more. Also I can not find any serial nombers or other markings on the lathe other than the makers name on the main casting. Thanks Stephen

[IMG]
at the back of the lathe [IMG]
Denham makers name [IMG]
view towards tailstock [IMG]
General view towards headstock
Reply to
Stephen

replying to Stephen, Paulvanmunster wrote: Hi Steven, I recently purchased a similar Denham lathe basically in working condition. How are you doing with yours. I am sure you would have figured out by now that the rear shaft actually drives the saddle and cross feeds. It is only driven from one end. Have you found any info on the lathe ? I can find nothing on mine. Cheers Paul.

Reply to
Paulvanmunster