locking collar

I need to remove a pair of 2" diameter bearings on pillow blocks.

Way back when my sprayer was built, they put the locking collar on the inside. That way, a farmer wouldn't take it apart!

Any suggestions on releasing the locking collar on a bearing when its hard to get at? Other than the smoke wrench.

I just gave up for the day and let it soak in kroil over night.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thought I'd try putting the 20 ton hydraulic puller on it before supper. Solved my space problem on one bearing, the pillow block EXPLODED. Got a hole in the sheet rock ceiling to fix now. And the wife has to clean brown and yellow spots out of my shorts.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Well, Karl. I'd say that was the wrong way to approach it.

Look for snaprings and get the proper snapring pliers for it.

Or just buy another pair with _external_ snappers, wot?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

At least you were wearing shorts. It would have been a bigger mess without them. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some of them have a spherical outer race, you need to first remove the shaft and then rotate the bearing in the spherical housing bore till it's aligned with the "keys" (which are located on only one side of the housing) at which point the bearing will basically fall out.

ring_UCP203_UCP218.JPG

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Yep, that's exactly how it was built. But the yoyo that assembled my machine put this to the inside. Put this on correctly and a bearing that has been in place for years can be easily removed. Good design, but not idiot proof. At least the assembly shop had better idiots.

I busted one bearing all to hell, but that gives room to work on the other one. When i get the puller repaired, that is.

Now need to go shopping for a 2 3/16 shaft bearing and pillow block.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend