A Very Light Car

While KiddingNoOne continues to live in fantasy land and is in total denial of what the Chevy Volt is (An overweight, fat, pig) here is a
company with a proven record of success (They won the X-Prize) that has the right idea:
http://www.edison2.com/
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:05:09 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

This one has it by over 100 lb. (900 lb.)
http://tinyurl.com/c8mfsw2
Lotus 6. 1952. Nice aluminum work, too.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:30:11 -0400, Ed Huntress

Back in 2006 I was given a book called Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design. I am now re-reading the book for perhaps the 7th time. Looking at the link for the Lotus 6 makes me want to make my own car more than ever. I love the look of polished aluminum car bodies. And I can understand the book, the principals described in it are described so well. I have put some practice chassis designs on paper and have done the calculations using formulae from the book and other places. That Lotus 6 is just beeeauuutifull. If I didn't need to work I could make a car like the Lotus 6. All I would need to buy would be an english wheel, a stretcher, a shrinker, an air planisher and a few other sheet metal tools. I already have the machine shop to make the other components. Man, I really want to make a Sports Car. Eric
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mar 25, 8:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

. That

Take a look at http://www.cheapsportscar.net/
Dan
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 21:02:23 -0400, Ed Huntress

Correction: Where I said "Chapman," read "Champion." Colin Chapman was the founder of Lotus Cars. Ron Champion is the Locost guy. I had Lotus on the brain.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 21:23:36 -0400, Ed Huntress

The genuine Lotus 7. Colin Chapman's ultimate "add lightness" exrecise. Good friend of mine has all the jigs and has built or rebuilt more 7s in North America than Chapman. Lots of "originals" are original serial number tags on a Wolf built chassis.
If it wasn't so hard to insure and register a non-original 7 in Ontario, I'd have one!!!!
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:12:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Interesting. It's no problem to register one in NJ, and my insurance guy told me it would not be expensive to insure. His dad had insured my AC Aceca, and that's a *real* money hole. I wonder why it's difficult there?
BTW, my college roommate has one of the 55 Lotus 7 Mk. IVs that was imported into the US, gray-market, through Windsor, ONT. in 1971. It's the pea-green one that Lotus displayed at the Chicago Auto Show that year.
The Mk. IV was never fully accepted by the Lotus crowd. The Caterham 7 made now is a continuation of the Mk. III.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:12:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Can you do a Morgan there and license it as a motorcycle? Maybe use the donor engine's registration?
How do they handle the Harleys with training wheels (4 wheels total) in Ontario? I've read that they're illegal in some states but it's a gray area with cops using them.
Hannigan was into sidecars and originally from Ontario. Check out what he's up to. http://thekneeslider.com/honda-gold-wing-quad-from-hannigan-motorsports/
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:57:47 -0700, whoyakidding's ghost

In NJ, three-wheelers are licensed as motorcycles. The only problem is that you have to wear a Bell-approved helmet or you could get a ticket. It's unlikely that you would, though.
--
Ed Huntress

โœ–

Whaaat? In NJ, troopers ticket you fer not washing yer car! Or mebbe dats just NY license plates.... LOL..
MC helmets: the beginning of the Public Castration.
--
EA

โœ–
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:10:58 -0400, "Existential Angst"

Actually, our laws on "alternative" cars are pretty lax. You can drive almost anything if it has brakes and headights. No fenders are required; engines can be uncovered; and on and on.

Pfffht. When I see a motorcyclist without a helmet, I hope he hits something hard, to save us the trouble of keeping another vegetable alive.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
โœ–
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:26:22 -0400, Ed Huntress

Are you saying that if you were riding, you wouldn't expect dew rags and tattoos to have some cushioning value? And what about your IMAGE for gods sake? Do you really want people to ponder that your skull might not have as much concrete as EA's? :)
Add pictures here
โœ–

I stopped riding bikes cuz the helmets would mess up my hair. I hated that.
Also -- bike riding on a hot summer day is not much more comfortable than riding on a cold winter day -- holy shit, do those helmets get *hot* -- ESP in traffic.... And you need to be covered up from the sun on long rides, cuz you can really get a helluva burn. I don't miss bike riding at all, actually... lol
And, the point remains: safety-wise or not, the *requirement* for helmets is the castration. Some states, afaik, still don't have helmet laws.
Oh, another tidbit: Quadriplegia, some time ago, amongst 18-25 year olds, in CA, was almost epidemic -- not from crushed skills, but from broken necks in mc crashes, thought to be exacerbated by the extra mass supported by the neck. Go figger, eh? AND their xyz-amendment rights were violated!!!! lol
--
EA

โœ–
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:57:47 -0700, whoyakidding's ghost

Nope. Cannot even build a 3 wheeler with 2 at the front and one at the back - the only one licenseable is the CanAm Spyder, or one build before something like 1960.

No 4 wheel motorcycles in Ontario. Think it is Canada wide.

Fantastic little machine - it would have to be registered as a Quad - which is restricted to where it can be driven.
I think these rules need to be changed.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 23:15:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Interesting. A friend in Ontario told me he's seeing lots of those training wheels which are massively popular in the US. Could be a nasty surprise for owners if cops decide to crack down. One I saw up close had enough bodywork that you couldn't see that the original rear wheel was still there unless you were looking hard.

One thing it tells me is that vehicles like the Aptera trying to duck crash test certification by pretending to be motorcycles, will be non starters in many jurisdictions. Insurance costs might be prohibitive anyway.
Side note: I saw a Spyder wheel into a 711 lot the other day by cutting across an adjoining parking lot. He was doing about 50 when he left the roadway. Sloped and humped asphalt, I thought he might go airborne. Definitely reckless and I'm no prude about such things. I immediately thought Kenny Powers! :)
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:18:55 -0700, whoyakidding's ghost

You actually can have as many wheels on the vehicle as you want, as long as no more than 3 can contact the road at any time..

Also, a motorcycle in Canada must have HANDLEBARS, not a steering wheel, and the driver must sit ASTRIDE the seat - no bench or bucket.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:04:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

You'd better include ear plugs + muffs there, Eric.

I wanted a Lotus Europa for the longest time as a teen. Then I saw one in person and that dream dissolved. It was in ratty shape, smoked, and had a splintering body. I switched to a Countach. I'd still take one if anyone has a spare. ;)
What do you see in the Lotus 6 which would make you want to own one? I rode in a holey MGTD in LoCal for a year and wouldn't ever want to own one. It took my buddy Tommy several thousand dollars a year just to keep it running, not including maintenance items or gas. The 6 seems to fit into that slot in my eyes.
--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle

It's not the exact car that I want, but the esthetics of the car, the body design, really please me. There is a Ferrari from the early fifties that I like even more but I can't remember the model. But it's not the exact car I want either. I have an idea, a couple actually, of what I want for a custom made sports car. To get that car I would need to build it myself. But there is no reason to start completely from scratch, I can use cosmetic and mechanical design elements from other cars. The English and Italian design esthetics greatly appeal to me. Eric
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:38:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Possibly an original 166 MM Barchetta. If you can find a photo of a 1948 Cisitalia, you'll see where that whole school of body design came from. Its culmination was the 427 Cobra roadster. The AC Ace, which was the basis of the Cobras, was an admitted copy of the Barchetta -- without the 1.5 liter V12. Pistons like thimbles but it went like hell.
--
Ed Huntress

> But it's
โœ–
most importantly, you'll see

I had an interest in the Locost a while back. i do not remember which web site , but someone has analysed the original Locost frame and published the design of a modified frame that is much stiffer than the original frame.
Dan
Add pictures here
โœ–