Remove locking wheel studs?

I was at a wreckers last summer and saw a set of mags that matched one of my sons wheels . So thought they would be perfect to mount up winter tires for him . One problem , wheel locks and no key . So went and asked the manager if they had any keys . He told me to slide on a deep socket and whack it up and down with a big hammer . Snapped the stud off about the third whack . Luck Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

if this is like the locks on one of my cars, the outside part just rotates - it would take you a few hours of spining to wear it down internally enough to pull off the sleeve and unscrew - but the picture is a little vague

Reply to
william_b_noble

ok, I've actually done this, as opposed to the random speculation - my prior german car had locking lug nuts where the key removed the outer ring so you could access a regular lug nut - some idiot tried to pull them off with a slide hammer, all that did was damage the lock cylinder. I used a diamond wheel in a dremel tool and cut it off quite easily - first the separate the outer cylinder from the end with the lock tumbler, then notch the top and take it off. A new set of locks cost me about $35 from the dealer.

Reply to
william_b_noble

I left my key on one of the lug nuts about a year ago. The key is somewhere alongside the road. After trying many different methods of getting off the old locks, I finally just sprung for the right tool. It took seconds to get them off. This is the tool, and the only one I was able to get to work.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

Are you sure that

might not be a better choice?

Reply to
RAM^3

Might be. The item I recommended in my previous post is NOT the right one. The tool I found is the LT 40025, which is the specific tool for removing locking lugnuts. You can also get the LT 4300 set, which has both the LT

40025, plus a second LT 4200A socket (which is what I recommended in error) for removing damaged non-locking lugnuts. I got an LT 4200A socket from a local store first, who had recommended it, but it would not fit the locking lugnuts on my car (a Plymouth Grand Voyager), even after trying to hammer it on. Eventually I found the LT 40025, which worked perfectly in seconds. I got mine from
The LT 40025 is only $18.60 from them. A bargain if you need it.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

might not be a better choice?

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:01:16 -0500, the inscrutable "Dan" spake:

Got a die grinder and a 3" cutoff wheel to fit it? Grind a groove in the top surface of the inner lock piece and use a bigass honkin' screwdriver on the bastid.

Otherwise, find a wheel/tire place who has a matching key and order a replacement from them.

NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dan, I had the exact same thing happen to me one time. I took a large drift punch and bent it over here and there a bit. Stretched out the stud enough to let it spin off. Replaced the stud and got four new correct lug nuts. No damage to anything, and the only risk was that the punch would slip.

Reply to
carl mciver