Front Wheel Hub Brake

I saw one of these at the field the other day. Its a bushing type thing that you insert in the front wheel hub and it is actuated by the throttle and elevator servos. The pilot who had said he got it from Tower a few years ago but they no longer carry it. Anyone out there ever seen one of these? Any ideas on where I could find one?

Ted

Reply to
Ted

What you do is build your plane with a hatch in the bottom, activated by a spare channel on your radio. When you push the button a brick falls out, attached to the airplane via a tether. This works as well as any wheel brakes.

Ted wrote:

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

I think that may be one of the old Rocket City mechanical brakes. It had a hub and a spring..when you pulled up on the spring, via a string or small cable, the spring gripped the hub slowing and stopping the rotation of the wheel. They were sold in pairs, one for left and one for right side mounting. You might find a pair in a local hobby shop that still has a few Rocket City products. ASFAIK Rocket City went out of business a few years ago. The did mostly injection molding and had some neat products Frank

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Frank is correct. The Dubro number 157 is the same type. I have used both Rocket City and Dubro. When I heard Dubro had dropped the brake I bought all I could find because I like the way they work. I am down to about three in stock which are reserved for future projects.

The Rocket city hub was plastic with a phonolic brake drum. Dubro made the drum and hub together out of the same very hard material. It is for a 5/32 shaft and can't be drilled larger as the Rocket City could.

These brakes worked well with little problems. I have one now on a Twin Star, a Aviastar and a Bob Cat.

Dan Thompson

Reply to
IFLYJ3

I have a set of RCM plans by Bob Wallace for a scale model of an ultralight called the Bob Cat. Is that the same airplane? Just wondering, because I've had the plans for a long time but haven't built the plane yet, and I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who has.

Robert Reynolds

I have both the dubro,& rocket city brakes assbys ...give me your address, they are yours for the postage

Reply to
bauchas

No, this Bobcat is the jet trainer with a 60, 2 stroke pusher. I can't find it on the hobby web site but there is a picture of mine at this site

Dan Thompson

Reply to
IFLYJ3

I didn't figure it would be the same plane, because it's a tail dragger and you said you had a "brake" on it, rather than "brakes".

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

The Bob Cat jet is sold by Nitro Models.

at

Thanks, I had CRS and forgot the web site.

Dan

Reply to
IFLYJ3

Please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@msn.com