Bison vs Accusize - Collet Chucks

Other than the price what is the difference?

Have you used both?

Looking at getting a 5C collet chuck and a D1-5 adapter plate. Probably not going to go with a pullback at this time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Never mind. Seems from reading reviews that the Accusize is about 50/50 split between really good, and not so good.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You have a source for some of those big boxes or do I have to travel around hoping to find one at an auction?

I have an inexpensive 1/32 set of Interstate collets for my indexers and they are "ok", but after getting them I almost immediately wished I had bought a 1/64 set.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've needed only a few of the smallest sizes of 1/64" collets.

This has helped for in-between sizes, though not as much as I hoped because its minimum grip size is 5mm / 0.2".

I mounted it on their 5C back to use on an indexer as well as the lathe.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Its still a scroll chuck though Jim. Am I missing something? I am getting a collet chuck to reduce setup time vs a 4 jaw and improve concentricity over a scroll chuck.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Greetings Bob, If you are doing more than just a few parts a lever operated collet closer or an air closer is a HUGE improvement over the type you are looking at. Did I say HUGE? If you have a regular chuck on the lathe and want to do collet work then you must remove the chuck, carefully clean the mounting surfaces, and then mount your closer which is mounted to the D1-5 plate. Or, you can make sure the female spindle taper is clean, which is faster, put the spindle nose adapter into the spindle, and then slide the lever closer into the spindle from the back. There is a link from the lever to the back of the lathe and this connects with a drop in pin. So the time for either option is virtually the same. But now the advantages show up. With a lever closer the clamping force stays the same as long as the part diameter stays the same. With an air closer it is always the same. With a key operated closer this is not true. Even better, with a lever or air operated closer you don't need to stop the lathe to change parts. That can really speed things up. But even if you need to stop the lathe to change parts the lever and air closers are way faster to operate. And easier. You will learn to appreciate this in a very short time. Just my two cents. Cheers, Eric P.S. If you are doing long work the closer tube will support your work better than the larger through hole in the spindle. And you can more easliy put a spindle liner in the closer tube than in the spindle.

Reply to
etpm

How do those 2 chucks work? is it by pulling the collet into the taper like a tube or lever closer does, a machinist mentioned to me that they can lead to inconsistent lengths if high precision is needed.

I made my own 5C chuck using a Suburban Tools IIRC 5C collet chuck like this

fitted into a steel receiver and a D1-4 mounting plate. That chuck uses a cam to move a sliding sleeve around the collet and the collet is fixed to the main body so doesn't move lengthwise when it closes.

Reply to
David Billington

I have a 3-jaw Set-Tru for concentricity. The 6-jaw holds thin-walled tubes that don't fit a collet. So far I haven't needed to make an adjustable backplate for it or center it in the 4-jaw.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I actually have the lever part of a closer, but I have a 5-1/2 MT spindle nose. The manual says 6MT, but its not. Nor is it 5MT. It did come with an adapter to MT4 so I can turn between centers. I figured at some point I'd get a replacement adapter and turn it to match a more common 5C spindle insert. I even have a 5C insert, but I don't recall what its fits. I 100% agree on a closer being fast. I've got a hand wheel (rear of spindle) closer on one of my little lathes with 3C collets, and its great for work that fits within its range. I radius a lot of pins with it. I know a lever closer would be even faster, but its pretty fast.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I could use all the 1/64 in between sizes. Some common square and hex would be nice, but so far I have not had a need for them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Emailed Also:

Fill in for round is more important. Hex and square are just wish listed.

Would like to get: Round 9/64, 11/64, 13/64, 15/64, 17/64, 19/64, 21/64, 23/64, 25/64,

27/64, 29/64, 31/64, 33/64, 35/64, 37/64, 39/64, 41/64, 43/64, 45/64, 47/64, 49/64, 51/64, 53/64, 55/64, 57/64, 59/64, 61/64, 63/64

Low Priority Square 1/8,3/16,1/4, 5/16,3/8,7/16,1/2,9/16,5/8,11/16,3/4

Low Priority Hex 1/8,3/16,1/4, 5/16,3/8,7/16,1/2,9/16,5/8,11/16,3/4

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Just so you know I decided to try an Accusize... Mine was crap. Its going back today. My spindle nose has about .0001-.0002 run out. The Accusize has about .0075. Totally unacceptable. I'll just keep using the 4 jaw for now.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I guess Accusize doesn't imply Acculocation. That amount of runout, .0075", is more than thirty times what I would deem acceptable for a collet closer internal taper. Thanks for posting the info about the crappy Accusize unit. Maybe it will help someone choose in the future. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Wow, where are they sourcing those now, Malaysia? Or built with feet and sand in the stans? (Afghani/Paki)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The 6 jaw lathe chuck I bought recently was from Outer Mongolia.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Mongoloid Chuck? I knew him.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Bob, I just purchased an Accusize D1-5 Collet chuck. I am having a different problem than everyone else. I have some old Harding Collets that were used with a Clausing lathe (rest in peace). The Collets drop into the Chuck but will not pickup the threads. I downloaded the 5C Collets spec and the MD over the threads is 1.238. The Harding Collets are dead nuts right on. However, I recently purchase a $7.00 Chinese Collet. It fits but the MD of the thread is 1.226 and fits. Anyone seen this problem? I assume the 5C collet spec has remained the same over the years.

Reply to
wrodseth

Hi Bob, I just purchased an Accusize D1-5 Collet chuck. I am having a different problem than everyone else. I have some old Harding Collets that were used with a Clausing lathe (rest in peace). The Collets drop into the Chuck but will not pickup the threads. I downloaded the 5C Collets spec and the MD over the threads is 1.238. The Harding Collets are dead nuts right on. However, I recently purchase a $7.00 Chinese Collet. It fits but the MD of the thread is 1.226 and fits. Anyone seen this problem? I assume the

5C collet spec has remained the same over the years. *************

I have had issues getting devices to pick up import (Interstate) collets. Even with my Interstate indexer. LOL.

I also often find the key slot has burrs or is a little narrow. I've gotten pretty good at cleaning them up with an abrasive wheel in a rotary hand piece.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I found a second 5C spindle adapter and removed the locating pin, which isn't really needed on my lathe. The smaller-diameter work slips first if the collet isn't tight enough.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins