Hardinge lathe help needed

I have Hardinge TFB lathe (won't cut threads) and I need to remove the spindle. I assume that it is same an HLV lathe, so I was hoping another owner might be able to help me out. BTW, the machine has the tapered nose NOT the threaded nose.

What I have done:

  1. Removed the collet closer no problem there. The tooth gear (part of closer) remains on the left end spindle.

  1. Removed the three cap screws in the ring around the nose, moved the ring about 1/8 " from the housing.

  2. Removed a set screw from the tapered nose only to find it only fits in the 5C collet groove (no help).

  1. Wash my hands and turned on the computer.

If any one has a parts manual for this machine perhaps we can make a deal (buy, borrow,.something)

TIA,

Richard

Reply to
dogpoint

Of course my first question is 'why?' It's my understanding that once you remove the spindle you pretty much ruin the bearing set, and then this has to be replaced. So maybe you are changing the bearings because they're bad anyway.

The person you need to talk to is Gunner here, he will probably reply. If you perform a google search, he has detailed the exact steps to change HLVH bearings, in a former post of about two years ago.

I've had the smaller hardinge lathe spindles apart, but the HLVH headstock is somewhat different (uses a preload cylinder, which slides over the spindle OD) and more finicky.

Jim

jim rozen

Does your TFB have the access plate at the rear of the headstock? Are the belts in the middle of the spindle or at the ass end of the spindle? Ill email you a poor gif of the procedure if its the center belt type. If its the later end belt, Its easy, but remember..you will probably wind up replaceing the $pindle bearings on the later model if you pull the spindle.

Why are you pulling the spindle btw? Check your email later tonight.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Jim is correct. The early model TFBs (and chuckers) could remove the spindle at least to change the belts without blowing out the bearings..but the later models dont need to pull the spindle to replace the belts. Any removal of the spindle of the later model machines, with the belt at the rear of the spindle, WILL result in blowing out the bearings, unless you have a box seat at the Vatican.

Superprecision bearings for the Hardinge will set you back around $350 for the pair, if you buy them from Alpine Bearing in Boston, Mass..the cheapest place Ive found...email me for a discount trick.

I emailed you a rather poor gif of the procedure for belt changing on the older mid spindle belt models. Ill have to find the manuals and scan them one of these days.