Info please on Logan 815 lathe

I'm going to be seeing a Logan lathe for sale and want to know something about them. The seller does not know about lathes, but it sounds like it's a model 815, 10x24 I think (based on seller's verbal description).. I read Tony's stuff (UK site). This one has not been used in over 15 years. It looks decent in the pictures, but that doesn't mean anything yet.

I'm curious about what collets can work with this. Can I get up to .750" collet capacity?

Any issues with the gear box? Reliability, etc.

Anything in the headstock spindles I should look for.

What's the basic value? Until I see it, I won't know about tooling, or actual condition, so I'm trying to find a baseline value. For example, assuming it's fully funtional, decent but not perfect, has 3 jaw, 4 jaw, TS chucks and basic tool holders, what would it be worth?

There's not a lot of Logans out west here, so I'd be concerned about parts availibility. I see a lot less Logan stuff than Atlas or South Bend on eBay.

It sounds like it's a comperable lathe to a South Bend 10K maybe. Is that correct?

Thanks you all, especially Scott if you see this before I see the machine (maybe tomorrow evening). Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Bruno I'm assuming that you've joined the lathe group for Logan's, if not go to

and wander around there. Lots of your questions will be answered. The value of the basic lathe in good condition with a chuck or two and tailstock, in my opinion, would be in the $500 range. Start adding for extras like steadies, tapers, collets, and tooling etc. Start deducting for rust and broken parts. When I owned a Logan lathe parts come along fairly easily. They are a good basic lathe and comparable to the Southbend. Most any lathe in this range you will not loose much money if any as long as it is in fair shape and not abused. Both of the Logan's that I have owned have been money makers for me but they were in good shape and working when I sold them. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Bruno, you can tell a great deal about the condition of the machine by how the original paint looks and the wear on the ways. My first lathe was a Logan, and while it was a marvelous machine, I now own an Atlas

12". That may or may not tell a story, but the fact is that accessories for the Atlas are much easier and less expensive to obtain than those for the Logan. From my perspective, their quality is equivalent.

Beware of lathes having an excessive amount or re-painting on them, because this is generally an attempt to conceal their age or true condition. Check the play on the headstock and that on the cutting tool saddle, because this will give you some insight into the wear on the machine. Make sure that you listen to the machine run, at high RPM, with and without the backgears engaged. Check out the travel of the toolpost when engaged, and that of the crossfeed (if the lathe has one).

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

I believe that all of the 10" Logans used a 1-1/2x8 spindle nose thread, and that the typical collets for them were the 3-something series, which I don't think go much over 1/2".

But -- you could get an adjust-tru mount 5C collet adaptor (made by Bison) for it. (Don't get the plain version -- you want the Adjust-tru version, so you can tune your collets to run true.) Then, you are limited only by the spindle bore, which I think would clear your .750" stock -- but certainly not the 1" stock which a 5C collet will accept. (And a 5C collet will also accept a 1-1/8" held sort (that is, it won't go through the spindle, but perhaps about an inch or two into the collet.

If it were an 11" or larger, it would have a 2-1/4x8 spindle thread, and could handle a 5C collet directly (with the proper nose adaptor).

[ ... ]

There is always Scott Logan himself. (Of course, that will be new prices, not used.)

That is the lighter of the two 10" ones? I think that will probably be a reasonable approximation.

I see that you do know about Scott. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yes, the Model 815 is a 10" swing, 24" between centers. In the US, that would be a 10 x 24; in the UK, that's a 5 x 24. Go figure.

Common collets used with Logan 9" and 10" were the 3-AT (as supplied by Logan Engineering) or often, 3-C (perhaps a bit more common, as was used on South Bend 9" and 10-K).

As noted elsewhere in this thread, a front mount 5-C collet closer can be fitted, to use the full bore of the spindle, but it also extends farther from the spindle.

If it was before S/N 46561, it uses a different gearbox, which seems to have more rugged gears (at least I don't sell as many). This is not to say the later box is unreliable.

This lathe would have a 25/32" through hole, with a #3 Morse taper. It uses ball bearings on the spindle.

I will let others comment on value, as we do not deal in used machinery.

Actually, there are quite a few Logan Lathes in use in the western US, but I think more are the larger 12" and especially 14" sizes.

Yes, probably the closest comparison.

Hope you get your answers before you go. Anything else, give me a call or email directly.

Reply to
Scott S. Logan