Lathe decision

After many weeks of scouring the universe, I have found 3 lathes tha

are available for the taking.

  1. One is an old Craftsman/Atlas 12" x 24" that the owner describes a being in pretty good shape. I haven't yet seen it, but he is sending m pics. It has what he thinks is the original greenish paint, has the fla bed, and the stand with heavy cast iron legs, a couple chucks, an various pieces of tooling.

  1. I have also found 2 old Logans with collet type headstock. Both ar in good working order, and seem to be in fair to good condition. I wil examine them a second time this week, and hear them run etc. They bot have the flat belt drive, one of them has the integrated belt tensione in the belt cover.

The price is approximately the same for all the lathes, $800 - $900.

The pro's and con's, as I see them, include:

Logans are much older, and I don't know what part availablilty is an will continue to be.

The Logans have the flat belt drive, the Craftsman has the more moder V-belt. Being a newbie I'm not sure if one is inherently better/wors than the other, although continued availability of the flat belt i certainly questionable.

There seems to be an absolute abundance of parts for th Craftsman/Atlas series of lathes on Ebay. Logan seems to run a distan third in this regard, just behind South Bend.

My intended use is a home/hobby lathe, making mostly aluminum parts.

Please provide opinions (be gentle, now) as to which would be th better advised purchase decision

-- J. Mark Wolf

Reply to
J. Mark Wolf

The 12" Craftsman/Atlas was made from the '30s into the '70s in various versions. Price totally depends on age and condition. They are good home shop lathes (I have an Atlas 10", basically same thing) with a ton of parts support, but they are also the lightest 12 inchers out there. Not exactly hogging machines. The older ones can be problematic with bad castings and bearings. $800 sounds about right for the high end but I'd try to get a better price, unless it's in great shape and/or loaded.

I know very little about Logans, but they are high quality and may not be as old as you think. Scott Logan still supplies parts for many models. Most are heavily-built.

V-belts are easier to get, tension, and maintain. Flat belts are smoother to run, provide some clutch action, and look great. Not too hard to get if you have a good belt shop. It's a wash.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

$800 sounds like a lot of money.

I picked up a 10x24 Logan Model 200 a few m> After many weeks of scouring the universe, I have found 3 lathes that

Reply to
RoyJ

As described they sound all about the same. The v-belt vs flat belt thing isn't a big deal. Either does the job fine.

What size are the spindles in the logans? Some of them were

5C collet capable, and that would be a big plus.

I would choose the lathe that you could inspect personally, and was close to you. I would also choose the one that had the best tooling that goes along with it.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

It depends where you are located. Probably 10 years ago in Colorado I sold a Logan 10x24 with a bunch of tooling, gear change box, etc. for $1400. It was in excellent condition and I felt that was market price for the area.

Steve

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Mark

I have had a Logan 9x17 for a couple years. The reason you don't see parts on ebay is because fes are parted out - they last. If you need parts, Scott Logan maintains a parts stock for most models, mostly as a hobby and a tribute to his ancestry. He also hosts a nice website and moderates a Yahoo group for Logan enthusiasts. These are nice, durable machines which are probably at the top end of the hobbiest "old iron".

A bought an Atlas 10x36 last summer, as a basket case. I am almost finished rebuilding it, using the Logan to make a lot of the parts. Clausing still offers many of the replacement parts, but some key items are not available. For example, there is a little pot-metal casting with two gears in it that connects the carriage handwheel to the rack. About half of them are broken, but still in use. Makes the handwheel action very sloppy. If you look at the apron on the headstock side, in the gap between apron and bed, you can see it. If it moves around when you crank the handwheel it's broken. They go on ebay for $50 and up. The Atlas has been a fun project, and it's a nice machine after the refurbishing, but I will keep the Logan and sell the Atlas.

As for value, if you haven't found a lathe like these under $500, you aren't looking hard enough. The only way I'd pay $800 for an older lathe is if it's like new and has QC and tooling. But then I'm a bargain-hunter.

Good luck

Rex B Fort Worth

J. Mark Wolf wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

I've had a 10" Logan for several years. It was built in 1946 and will still hold 0.001. I've had no trouble getting parts for it (what few I've needed...).

I think the flat belt is an advantage. If you overload the machine, it will throw the belt before something of consequence busts.

I paid, as I recall, $700 for it, with a roll-around toolbox full of assorted tooling (some of which hadn't been used in years and needed a good cleaning up...).

Jerry

Reply to
<jmfoster711

If the other does not have the countershaft with the automatic tensioning, and has the rear mounted drive, it must be a Montgomery Wards 10" Lathe, built by Logan.

Also, since these are Flat Belt Drive, they were built prior to 1953. Not a problem, but perhaps a bargaining point.

If you can come up with a Model Number and Serial Number, I can provide additional details. Please copy me by direct email, as my feed for Usenet is less than perfect.

We carry over 4000 parts for various Logan Lathes and Montgomery Wards Lathes. These are all new manufactured parts, not old stock or used parts, although on occasion, we do provide used, properly described as such. We plan to continue to support these Lathes.

Again, we carry the flat belts in stock; either cemented endless or open with Clipper(r) lacing. Nothing wrong with the flat belt drive, if properly adjusted and maintained. The belt will handle whatever the Lathe was designed for. I have personally run Logan Lathes with the flat belt, and have taken pretty substantial cuts in, for instance, 6" dia Cast Iron.

Sounds about right. South Bend built more lathes than Logan, which would account for some of the difference. I don't know how many Craftsman/Atlas were built.

Well, I'm probably a bit biased, but I would recommend the Logan. But that's just me.

Reply to
Scott S. Logan
[color=blue][i]

After many weeks of scouring the universe, I have found 3 lathes that are available for the taking.

Update:

Thanks for all the great input everybody.

I've decided to go with the Logan. Turns out it is a Logan 200. looked it over as well as I know how, which is nill, but found the be to be in good shape, no knicks or dings, head, tailstock and carriag all very smooth and snug, with the exception that the carriag handwheel is sloppy, which someone on this forum suggested might be th case. One of the two flat belts is a little ragged, but that's OK. Th seller ran it for me, and once I heard it's little "heartbeat" I jus had to have it!

I have had a great deal of difficulty finding a small lathe that i affordable. There have been a few candidates on Ebay, but unless yo live close enough to look at it, you have to buy sight unseen, then pa shipping or drive many many hours round-trip to pick it up yourself Even then, they have have all gone for well over a thousand dollars!

I'm sure, with a little attention this lathe will outlast me

-- J. Mark Wolf

Reply to
J. Mark Wolf

Mark - Generally a Logan lathe is a better/stronger machine than the Atlas. For one thing they utilize steel gears rather than zinc alloy. In fact years ago I sold my old 10x24 Atlas and acquired my current 11x24 Logan for that reason; and because it had a quick change and took 5C collets. However, based on the very limited information you provided on the 'older' Logans and the fact that you intend to work primarily with aluminum, the 12x24 Craftsman lathe may be the better choice. I'm not sure what you meant by "collet type headstock" on the Logans and you did not mention the size, ie. 10x24, etc. The 11 and 12" machines are significantly better than the 10". Do the old Logans come with any chucks or other tooling? What size/type spindle nose do they have? Can they take 5C collets? Do any of them have a quick change gear box; and if not, are the needed change gears included? I also suggest the overall condition of the lathes, especailly the ways, should be a major consideration. Keep in mind that repair parts and needed tooling can be quite expensive. IMHO to be worth the money you quoted, all these machines should be in good condition. Good luck, John M

Reply to
JMLATHE

The Model 200 is the original Logan Lathe, and was built from 1941 until 1953. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, with a Serial Number I can date it closer.

Just to clarify, this lathe should have only one flat belt, from the countershaft to the spindle. The belt from the 2 step "V" motor pulley to the 2 step flat countershaft pulley is a V belt.

I tried to copy you by email on the last post, but your server bounced the message, so I won't bother this time. Hopefully you will see this.

Reply to
Scott S. Logan

The Model 200 is the original Logan Lathe, and was built from 1941 until 1953. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, with a Serial Number I can date it closer.

Just to clarify, this lathe should have only one flat belt, from the countershaft to the spindle. The belt from the 2 step "V" motor pulley to the 2 step flat countershaft pulley is a V belt.

Hi Scott

The photocopied docs that I saw identified the lathe as a "200 although they may have been docs for a different but similar lathe suppose.

There are definately 2 flat belts on the lathe I'm considering. On between the motor and the jackshaft, and one between the jackshaft an headstock pulley. I was under the impression that this was a stoc implementation, but I wonder now if it was an improvisation.

One of the two "200" lathes at the sellers facility has a support pol between the floor and the motor. The other "200" does not.

Can you direct me to some pics or diagrams of these lathes to hel identify what is what

-- J. Mark Wolf

Reply to
J. Mark Wolf

Those should help some.

I am a bit surprised that they had not all been brought up yet.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

First of all, if you are identifying this lathe by the "docs" we have no idea what it may actually be. Check the Lathe itself for a Model Number and a Serial Number. The Model Number should be on a nameplate on the front of the headstock (unless it is a very early machine) or on the Quick Change Gearbox, if so equipped. Note that the early Logan Lathes sis not have a model number on the nameplate, since there was only one model.

The Serial Number is stamped on top of the bed, right hand end, between the front V and flat ways. On Logan Lathes, it is a 5 digit number. On Montgomery Wards Lathes, it is a 4 digit number, possibly followed by an "A".

Most certainly, no Logan Lathe used 2 flat belts. The drive from the motor should be a V-Belt. There should be a 2 step V pulley on the motor, driving a 2 step flat pulley on the countershaft. The only exceptions on early lathes (prior to 1953) would be the Model

400/1400, which DID use a V belt from the motor as well as a V belt to the spindle.

All Logan Lathes with the rear drive have a support for the drive box assembly. There were a couple of different styles, and if it is a bench model, the bench itself provides the support, but it must be there, or the Lathe is unstable.

As for pics, see:

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Scott S. Logan