Sheldon Lathe Identification

Have have been asked to help identify a Sheldon , given the way identifier: K BUQ 1903 Is there such a model as the Sheldon K Series? BUQ describes certain features of what I believe is a n 11" model. I have pictures, but can't copy them here.

Reply to
Roy 1946

I have documents in the house - not in my library. What MODEL number is it - on the name plate. Mine is a L11-44 which is a Marketing - the way's are 44" and are measured from behind the head where the way starts to the end of the way at the end. There are L-56 and such out there. The 11 is the swing - divide by two to find center to the way. A 11" diameter of something to turn.

I'll look for it tomorrow - If I don't get back - bug me. I have a DR appointment tomorrow that might slow my thinking.

Martin

Reply to
Martin E

replying to Roy 1946, Martin E wrote: I have two Sheldon booklets. My Sheldon 11 L-44 is a TLWQ 10406 The confusing thing on mine is the Marketing name lists it as an 11 with a way of

44". Options are TLWQ serial 10406 The 10 is the 10" lathe. Yep - both a 10 and 11 " on one leg set. So both booklets call out my machine. There isn't a list of decode names but your BUQ Which might be a very old machine. I believe (don't know for sure) TL is Timken Bering in Headstock with unit L with V Belt not Flat belt (a K !!). Find out if the belting is in V's or is a large flat belt. I think the K is the belt not the model. Model is on nameplate on front of machine. The 10" lathes have a simple Apron assembly while I have a complex with friction and gearing. "Carriage unit K-119 might be yours does not have a dial for threading. The 10" does. The 10" has a compound on top as well. The Motor Drive unit is a double cone in mine, while the "U" drive has control handles for preset speeds. That is the basic stuff. There is a nice website in the UK that has machines of all sorts and lets you do a picture and id check that way. Many documents. Good luck - Martin
Reply to
Martin E