OT - Where to get marking ink?

Around 45 years ago I bought a refillable "magic marker" made by The Carters Ink Company of Boston. It's a nice all aluminum pen which looks a lot like today's "Sharpie" markers. The pen unscrews into two parts about an inch back of the point to let you refill the back part with ink from a squirt can.

Pressing down hard on the spring loaded felt tip opens a valve behind it so ink can flow from inside and wet it.

I've finally used up the can of ink I'd bought way back then and I'd like to find a source of ink so I can keep using my "old friend". The can is labeled "Carter's Marking Ink for Felt Tip Pens - Black 685"

Carter was aquired by Avery Dennison some time ago, but the ink I'm looking for doesn't seem available from them.

I thnk it's just an alcohol based black ink, and is quite thin.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I bought a jumbo permanent marker a while ago, and was a bit surprised to see the card read "refillable". It really is jumbo.. the tip is about 1/2" square felt.

This stuff smells and marks like Magic Marker pens, which I think is a different formula than Sharpie permanent marker pens ink.

The jumbo marker is Pilot brand Item #BSC66BLK, UPC # 43000, and the card states: Refillable for added value. Use Pilot Super Color Marker refill ink.

Pilot Corp of America, Trumbull CT, 06611, Made in Japan

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Thanks!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

McMaster-Carr has ink for refillable permanent felt markers in their catalog in 16 oz. bottles, stock no. 1673TB, available in black, blue, green, orange, pink, red, white and yellow, price $16.19 + shipping. I can't tell for sure if it is the same type of ink as the old, but they call it "permanent" so it may be similar. I have one of those old- model pens around the same age, although mine is a Flo-Master and originally used Flo-Master ink which came in small flat cans like oil cans. One I have (the older one with a metal spout) is marked Cushman & Denison Mfg. Co., New York, and the newer one (plastic spout) was made by Esterbrook Pen Company, Camden 1, New Jersey. I finally quit using the pen because it seemed like the felt tip was always dry and hard every time I needed it, and it had to be soaked in solvent to get it working again. Probably wouldn't happen so much if the pen was used every day, but for me it got to be a nuisance.

Mike

Reply to
KyMike

Thanks, the McMaster-Carr ink sounds like a better buy per ounce than the Pilot ink Wild Bill suggested.

My now empty can of Carter's ink was very much like the one you described, a small flat can like 3-in-one oil comes in with a metal spout having a metal screw on cap on its tip.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hi Jeff,

I've used the bottle of ink made to replenish rubber stamp pads. The ink seems to smear a bit easier right after application. More so I thought than the ink that came in the maker. I just hold the bottle up and squeeze (plastic bottle) hard enough that the ink dribble/runs out past the big blotter stuck in the end. You can find rubber stamp ink at most any good office supply store. I wouldn't be surprised if you already had some stashed somewhere :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk