Where to get small diameter sex bolts

I am looking for a sex bolts (sometimes they are also called hidden
bolts)
McMaster has them in #10 tread or larger.
I need something more like thread #4.
BTW These are going to hold two scales of the fixed knife.
Reply to
AK
A sex bolt is a two-piece bolt assembly that consists of an externally-threaded machine screw and a mating, hollow, threaded nut with a head. Picture:

AK wrote:
Reply to
AK
Is this not called a "shoulder bolt?"
Reply to
Steve B
Shoulder bolt is part that goes inside round threaded nut(round threaded on inside nut that has a head like a bolt or screw).
Reply to
Alex
Here is a good picture of exactly what screw I am looking for:
Alex
Office supply stores sell similar fasteners, which are used to bind punched sheets of paper. They are made in aluminum and brass, usually have 8-32 threads, and are available in various grip lengths.
Reply to
jwdoylejr
These have a 7/16" head diameter which is way too big for knife handle screw. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
Reply to
Alex
Go here. Should be some links to knife maker suppliers.
Karl
AK wrote:
Reply to
kfvorwerk
In the holster and belt trades they are called "Chicago screws", usually made out of brass. I did a search on them and found
they list both sex bolts and Chicago screws. Hope this helps....Joel in rust central, Florida east coast ====================== Alex wrote:
Reply to
joelblatt
They may also be called "barrel nuts".
Joe Gwinn
Reply to
Joseph Gwinn
Also called Chicago screws/posts, and other names:-
(but they're in India)
$50 min order

etc.. 8-32 seems to be the common thread, which at least is smaller than 10.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
You've already received some good suggestions. I'll just add that leather items (ie belts, straps, slings...) use similar fasteners. They usually call them "screw posts".
See:

Leon Fisk
I used to see a lot of those in computer printout binders and accounting ledger books.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
If you only need a couple, how about using one short "through threaded" standoff and two male screws with appropriate heads?
Jeff
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
Usually they're hex, not round, if they're threaded. Probably made in Mexico.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
Wouldn't take rocket surgery to convert a couple from hex to round, if he has an electric drill and a file.
That was the closest thing to a lathe I had in my teens, and it worked for me.
Jeff
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
AH! So THAT'S what the hell they're called!!! I've been trying to find those for nearly a year.
Thanks a LOT.
-gc
Reply to
Gene Cash
There are lots of suppliers suggested, but apparently you're needing really small ones. You might consider making your own custom parts, easy to do with a lathe (even a mini lathe), or possibly a small drill press. You could probably use small rivets, drilled (blind or thru hole) and tapped to accept a short section of screw thread (two female halves of specific length joined with a threaded section cut from a screw or small all-thread).
If you didn't have any intention of removing them in the future, you wouldn't need to cut screwdriver slots in the heads, but instead, just loctite the threaded areas and tighten them with fingertip friction.
WB metalworking projects
AK wrote:
Reply to
Wild Bill
Chicago Bolt or screw
Gunner
Gunner
Copper or brass are often used in holsters
Gunner
Gunner