Where to buy a welder cord

I need to buy about 6 peices of replacement cords with plugs. both 30 and 50 amp, NEMA 6-30 and 6-50, about 6 foot long would be good. These are the same style as used on a welder. Other than a welding supply store where can I buy these?

I'm going this way because I figure the cord and wire assembly is cheaper than buying the wire and plug separately. I would not buy those cheap-ass replacement plugs that barely hold the wire and break the first time they hit the ground. I have a good Arrow Hart plug on one of my welding machines and as I recall that was over $30 several years ago.

Home Depot, Grainger, MSC and McMaster have come up with nothing I can find.

BTW, I need these for a job i'm doing and it's not for a welding machine.

Any suggestions??

Old style range and dryer cords are NEMA 10-30 and 10-50, I need the ones with the round ground prong.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Does this equipment really need to be plugged in? Can you just hard-wire (wire-nut) the units to a local box, or to the breaker panel? I've done that on a number of occasions. Also, #6 wire is pretty hefty, even for 50 A, esp. for only a 6 foot cord. Heavier gauge wire is needed only for long runs, and the cord certainly need not be heavier than the wire in the pipe/raceway.

Also, is the actual current draw really a full 30/50A, or is that just a "rating"? And, is the current draw continuous? My welder uses #12 wire in the factory cord (60 A breaker), and #12 wire is more than adequate for 30 A continuous loads, like a dryer.

If you must follow some code and go with #6, you may have to go with heavy "SJ" cord and expensive plugs. But wire-nutting inside a legal junction box (deep 5", etc) should be within code as well. Ultimately stuff is likely wire-nutted somewhere anyway, unless the electrican made the run a "home run".

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I need a "service disconnect" which the plug and receptical do nicely. If I hard wire it I need some other kind of disconnect, I might use those little panels they use for A/C units outside with the pull out disconnects.

I did find this:

The plug is $52.89 at MSCdirect.com #74423575

It needs to be to code, so per the name plate ratings on the machines, I need 30A and 50A services.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

The Eagle plug is a hard rubber case, clamps down hard, doesn't shatter when dropped.

I do questi> FIFTY TWO SMACKERS? Gulp .. try this one, it's what I use:

Reply to
RoyJ

FIFTY TWO SMACKERS? Gulp .. try this one, it's what I use:

50A plug for $8.80 - a whole *lot* cheaper.

Grant

Randy wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I use Home Depot 50a 3/4 wire plugs, they are quite indestructible. Very well made and not too expensive.

Ignoramus24277

I might do that, (NEMA 14 SERIES) I don't need the extra wire, but you get more wires for less money. And Home depot sells them.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Reply to
Mike Berger

Mike Berger wrote in article ...

I believe if a stove cord would be correct, it would be called a "stove/welder cord."

Reply to
*