220v for welder

Hi all:
I am trying to wire a new receptacle to a pre-existing 220v line that was for a dryer in my shop- the welder requires a 30 A line which this one is,
and needs a NEMA 6-50 receptacle. I can see that the dryer receptacle has two hots ( red and black) and a neutral white- however, i see that the 6-50 needs two hots and a ground. I am assuming that this means the existing line can still be used with a few modifications- it is 10/3- .....tape a green indicator on both ends of the white and make that a ground? is this correct Thanks for any help-!

What gauge (size) are each of the wires?
--
Sparky

On 10 Apr 2007 21:05:25 -0700, "inspired13"

That will work fine.

You have the "old" style dryer plug. The neutral was used as a ground. Since it is a neutral, and a ground, it has to be insulated, since it carries current. The new standard is for four wires, which is a separated neutral and ground. I wouldn't waste time taping anything, the electrons will never know the difference. Since your new welder is strictly "220", the wire will be used as a ground only. The only reason your dryer needed a neutral was for the light bulb inside the tumbler, and sometimes the control wiring. Strictly speaking, you are not allowed to tape a wire to identify it unless it is at least a number two. If you must be anal about it, you are allowed to strip the wire bare to identify it as a ground, but then what happens when you need it as a neutral again?
I should have clarified this- would the neutral be used as ground- or should the ground line to the receptacle actually be moved from the neutral bar in the panel to ground?
Thanks again-

Yeah, that's different. If the circuit comes from a sub-panel, the wire needs to be moved to the ground bar. (If it did, it would be wrong anyway, for a dryer outlet.) If it's the service panel, the ground and neutral should be on the same bar. Sometimes people separate into two bars for housekeeping purposes, but they should both be bonded together in the service panel.