Replacing a ceiling light fitting

Hi all
Sorry to sound such a div, but I've got a simple wiring problem. I'm replacing a ceiling light. There are 2 cables coming out of the
ceiling, that originally went into a ceiling rose terminal block (I didn't make a not of how this was wired!). One cable has four wires (red, blue, yellow, and one "naked"). The other cable has red L, black N and green/yellow E.
How do I connect these to the new light fittings, which has just 2 Live and Neutral connectors?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Mando wrote:

You have these wires in the ceiling junction box:
---------+ +---------- -------+ | | +------- -----+ | y R | +---- ---+ | b e e b | | r l l d l g b e u l | K r a d e o | | n r | | w | | / e | | | | | y | | | | | | e | | | | | | l | | | | | | | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1 and 7 are both ground wires, and should be connected together and to the ceiling junction box (assuming it's metalic).
The blk wire # 6 has been re-identified as neutral, so it should be connected to white wires. If the yellow #4 is really a discolored white, then it is a neutral wire. The white wires in the fixture connect to neutral.
The red wire # 5 is live. The black wires in the fixture connect to live, through a switch. The switch is probably wired to the red #2 and blue # 3. If you have an ohmmeter, test for continuity between the blue and red wires with the switch in one position, and no continuity with the switch in the other position. This must be done with power *off*. Assuming that you get the correct results, connect the red #2 to the red # 5 and connect the blue # 3 to the black wires from the fixture.
By the way, the new light fixtures should have a bare ground wire or a green grounding screw. A connection should be made from the fixture ground to the #1 and #7 ground wires.
All of the above assumes a standard 120 volt light fixture and wiring in the US.
Ed

Thanks Ed
Much appreciated. I should have mentioned that I'm in the UK. Is there any difference in wiring colors?
Cheers
Paul
Mando wrote:

Sorry - I don't know the UK color codes. :-(
Ed

Yes, completely different. The colours you mention are standard UK colours. However, it is unusual to have a triple and earth cable into a ceiling rose, except in the case of a bathroom with an extractor fan with run-on timer. Is that where this ceiling rose is?
--
Andrew Gabriel

There are wiring diagrams which will probably help you in this link: -
http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?tu53