Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder

You have the wrong plug / receptacle. A 240V welder doesn't use a neutral connection. You need a 240V 50A grounded plug / receptacle.

Reply to
Pete C.

Any help is appreciated.

I have a 50 amp breaker. I have #6 AWG wire with 3 conductors and a ground wire. The welder has 2 black wires and a green wire. The sheething on the welder's wire says 'green conductor for ground only'. The plug I have has 3 flat blades and says 'for non-grounded use only'.

I'm confused. Do I wire up the breaker with 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground and wire the receptacle with 2 hots and the ground? I was originally figuring I would use the 2 hots and a neutral from the breaker to the receptacle.

What am I missing here?

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
rvb

Your confusion results from three different 'standards' over the years. The earliest 240 wiring had two hots and a neutral (red/black/white). Later welders (70's??) were 240 only and had two hots and a ground (red/black/green). The most modern code calls for 2 hots (red/black), ground (green), and neutral (white) if NEEDED.

Your cable is suitable for the latest code which calls for a 4 conductor receptacle and plug with 3 blades parallel to each other and a round or 'D' shaped pin for ground. I'd recommend heading off to Home Despot or similar and getting a matched set.

I *think* it is still code legal to use the 2 blade and 'D' shaped pin setup (maybe Bruce Bergman will weigh in here) which lacks a neutral. And yo will still find a lot of older installations with the angle blades which is not approved.

H> Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

Crap. Thanks for the information, though. I was afraid of that.

But, I can still use my same wire, right? I just don't use the third conductor, only the two hots and the ground?

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
rvb

Thanks. It does...sort of. I am puzzled then with what I do with the wires from the welder to the plug. If the plug has '3 blades parallel to each other and a 'D' shaped pin for ground', how does that get wired to the welder properly since the welder wires (on which there is no plug) are only 2 hots and a ground?

Sorry for being a pain. I'm just trying to understand so I'm armed with as much knowledge as possible before heading off to the store ... again. I want to come back with the right stuff and be welding tomorrow night. :)

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
rvb

Never mind. I think I've got it.

I need this:

And this:
Thanks again, everyone for all the help!

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
rvb

How many conductors are in the welder's cord? Three or four?

Reply to
Maxwell

Reply to
Rick Barer

That pair will work but you will have a left over white wire on the receptacle end.

take a look at

page 759 for a good chart of your options.

The 10-50 is the oldest style with the blades at an angle. You are look> >

RoyJ

Hey everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I finally got my chores done for the weekend late last night (fixing horse fencing, fixing gates, taking down a tree, delivering the wood to father-in-law, etc.) and I installed the receptacle and plug for the welder.

It came out great and was very simple. I'll tell you something, though. That #6 wire is NOT the most flexible stuff on the planet! :)

Anyway, I fired up the welder and gave it a test run with some 6013 I was given with the welder. It ran great, but I was suprised at how shallow the penetration was with AC. Oh well. It'll do for now. :) Almost time to get more goodies now that I have the power sorted out.

Thanks to all that offered help and advice. It is appreciated.

rvb