Testing Epson Durabrite ink to make decals

Just in case someone's interested...
Epson says their durabrite ink is fade resistant so I decided to test
if it's good to make decals. I printed a solid red area on standard
decal paper, clearcoated and put it on a piece taken from a spare
model. I also painted the area close to the decal with an enamel that
matched the printed red, then sealed everything with a clearcoat and
put the whole thing in a sealed transparent bag on top of my car box
(so it's exposed to the sun all day). I also put inside the bag a
piece of photopaper on which I had printed the same red area with my
"old" (non-durabrite) printer.
I looked after one month of sun exposure and noticed that some water
had leaked inside the bag: the normal ink is faded, while the
durabrite one still looks like the painted red (only the acrylic
clearcoat turned a bit dull because of the water).
I don't know how much of the standard ink fading is due to the sun and
how much to the water, however seems the durabrite can stand both very
well (for now). I think I'll put the whole thing inside a better
sealed transparent box and test it for another couple of months,
however for now the results seem nice.
P.S. I don't have any connection with Epson, apart from the fact that
I bought their printer :)
Reply to
Yuri
Interesting. What brand of decal paper did you use? Curt
Reply to
Curt
Thanks, good to know!
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
Reply to
Keeper
Thanks for sharing that. Chuck
Cfbush2000
Very interesting Yuri, thanks. Especially as I just replaced one of the staff's classroom printers with that exact model. The photo prints are very fine indeed almost as good as our laser printer, but with a softer quality to them. I'll just have to find an excuse to 'liberate' it occasionally now.
Chek
Reply to
Chek
please tell us what brand of decal paper and was it white or clear?
Reply to
jack
To the ones who requested what brand of decal paper I used...
I used a micro-mark white decal paper. Not having the inkjet version at hand (and I dind't want to buy it just for a test) I used the regulard laser/copier one, I just sprayed a light coat of superscale/microscale clear flat on the decal sheet before printing to provide some "tooth" for the ink, then after printing I sealed the ink with the clear gloss (I doesn't seem necessary to seal the ink as it's quite water resistant once dry, however I think it's better to give a light gloss coat anyway, just for additional protection ...).
The inkjet decal paper should work even better and I'll test with it if the long-time fade resistant test is successful.
There shouldn't be any difference regarding fade-resistance between the clear and the white paper. Of course you need a white background unless you are just printing black or you are placing the decal over a white (or very light grey) model.
Reply to
Yuri