printing slide off decals

Any recomendations on sources for good quality wet slide off decal paper, the kind that you print on your laser (or more likely ink jet) printer, wet in water and then slide off onto the model?

Reply to
Tony Rice

Micro Mark has an Ink Jet decal kit. They have clear and white paper since the ink jets can't print white. The kit is on page 56 of the fall 2006 catalog. Item number 82859 is a 'try it pack' that contains one sheet each clear and white, plus the fixative spray for 9.75. It can only be shipped by UPS Ground. You can get a catalog by going to

and requesting a catalog.

Walther's has 8 1/2 x 11 clear decal paper for laser printers.

I have used the Walther's paper with my Alps printer and it seems to be alright.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

in article Ijp1h.3$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.lga, Frank A. Rosenbaum at snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote on 10/30/06 7:59 AM:

I tried this stuff a few years ago with an older HP Inkjet printer. The biggest problem was that many inkjet inks are water soluble, and thus can bleed producing blurry decals. If you put on more of the fixative, the decal get too thick. Setting solutions make it all worse. Sigh.

If you decide to go this route, laser stuff is better (not water soluble), as is Alps (which are no longer made). If you must use ink jet, try to get a printer which uses the newer water and fade resistant inks: durabright from Epson, Vivera from HP, etc. Someone out there must have tried these newer inks (I have not), and a review would be helpful to all of us.

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Problem with the laser way is most laser printer manufacturers (HP for one - had them refuse service on one of mine) will not honor warranty repair work if decal making products were used and the printer goes toes up.

Pity about the ALPS no longer being made. They were great for decals.

Reply to
Jack

in article C16FB189.4CF9% snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net, Jack at snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote on 11/2/06 11:30 AM:

You mean you TOLD them you were using decal products? The proper answer, is "I dunno it just stopped working." Then on warranty or 3 year extended service, they just send you another one and you do the requested "fixes" which never work.

It's sort of like when the CHP asks you how fast you were going. "I dunno, I was going with the flow and watching the road instead of my speedo." You don't say, "Oh, about 105."

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

I didn't tell them. There was schmutz all over the insides of the machine from decal paper. It was just detective work on their part; no admission of guilt on mine.

Reply to
Jack