Decals with EPSON inks and printers.

I have access to an Epson Stylus PHOTO 925 printer.
Has anyone used this printer for decals and had good luck? If yes what brand of decal paper did you buy?
What type of paper did you select in the printer options dialog?
A little less specific. Has anyone had good luck with Epson inks on decal paper? If yes what brand of decal paper did you buy.
Thanks Tom G.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:08:20 -0500, "Tom Groszko"

I have an Epson Stylus 820.
The decal paper came from Micro-Mark Tools. Both clear and white variety.
Micro-Mark used to sell a fixative that was made by an outfit in Santa Fe Springs, CA (I forget the name- they are right next to the tracks used by the Pacific Surfliners at Los Nietos Road!!) Last time I ordered some from Micro-Mark, they sent Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating #1303A. It seems to work slightly better.
I find that the inks run no matter how careful one is during application. Don't DARE to soak the decal medium in water as we're used to with commercially produced decals. I just wet a paper towel, and place the cut-out decal segment onto the towel to loosen it up. And use decal solvents sparingly, if at all; they seem to eat through either the decal carrier or the clear coat.
I hear advertising for new Epson inks that are water-resistant. I wonder if this would make a difference.....have not had the chance to try them yet; I suspect they are not going to be available for the 920. (Of course, these printer manufacturers want you to buy a new printer every other year.)

I believe it's by Vita-Cal, and they're the same folks that sell both white and clear decal paper. I was able to get both from Internet Trains.
As far as the fixative Micro-Mark sold you, I'm wondering if it isn't responsible for the problems you're having with ink running and having to be extra careful with wetting the paper. It would seem best to use the product the company that makes the decal product sells, since they've probably spent more time testing it.
--
Frank Eva
http://www.trainweb.org/digitalrailroader /

I've
I also have the VitaCal kit - am wondering if you can use a decal setting solution with them?
--
Frank Eva
http://www.trainweb.org/digitalrailroader /
<< I also have the VitaCal kit - am wondering if you can use a decal setting solution with them? >>
You mean something like Solvaset? I've used it successfully as well, although sometimes I've applied it a little too liberally. That can causesthe colors to bleed, but I figure that's my fault, not the decals.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:40:18 GMT, "Frank Eva"

Oh? Or is it....Micro-Mark sells the product that they are able to get cheaper and therefore make higher profits?
Reason I say this, is that I have BETTER results with the Krylon product than the stuff that matched the decal paper.

be
product
spent
Then the fixative sold by the decal paper company was actually making your ink-running problem worse?
--
Frank Eva
http://www.trainweb.org/digitalrailroader /

I was at the new walmart in our town yesterday. They had some sort of Inkjet decal kit, but I did not have time to check it out. My wife did not need anything down that aisle <big grins>. Next time I am over there, I will check into it.
--
Will
HO - Credit Valley Railway
snipped-for-privacy@CreditValley.Railway wrote:

Sorry (for your local merchants and workers) to hear it.
--
Steve Caple

I live in a city of over 200,000. No buildings over two stories. We don't have local merchants to speak of, just shopping centers. If we were to name local merchants Walmart, Costco, etc. would be on the list.

Actually, the new Walmart employees many many local workers.
--
Will
HO - Credit Valley Railway
snipped-for-privacy@CreditValley.Railway wrote:

A clue as to their wage and benefit level:
"Would you like fries with that?"
Walmart/Costco/mini-malls with nothing but franchises - the gradual sovietization of North America. If competition is so great, how come mergers keep on keepion' on and the number of players in any market keeps decreasing? Oh, I know: it's the working of the Invisible Hand of St. Rand (whiney Aynie).
--
Steve Caple

I know Paul, but this forum is attached to the real world, and when someone makes a comment like "I saw a decal package at ______ and wondered how good it was." you always get people who do not like ______ for one reason or another, usually it turns out that they once worked there and got fired or something. Sometimes it is they bought something, used it, didn't like it and tried to get their money back on a used item... some people just do not understand the term "money cheerfully refunded on resellable merchandise". They do not understand that the "Satisfaction Guarantee" on the label is handled by the Manufacturer, NOT the retailer.
This is one reason why I run my own company and do not have a retail location.
--
Will
HO - Credit Valley Railway

Yes...exactly.
I remembered the company name finally (senior moment...) Vitachrome Graphics.
Funny I can remember exactly what their building looks like, where it is, as I pass it frequently on the Surf liner train heading into Los Angeles....