how to make custon Decal

I need advise on getting custom decals to be made or how would you get a graphic artist to design to what scale? Has anyone used a graphic artist to make custom decals or maybe a sign company which is fast tye place? Can anyone advise...

Thanks Brock R Bailey

Reply to
Brock Bailey

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brock Bailey" Newsgroups: rec.models.railroad Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 4:44 PM Subject: how to make custon Decal

I do not advise trying to make your own. It's a world of hurt, especially because most printers can't print in white! But there are so many other problems that it just doesn't make sense.

There are several companies that specialize in railroad decals. Try:

Frank Eva DCC Models

DCC Models

Frank, I take your point about the difficulties of producing the actual decal sheet, but creating the artwork for the decals should not be beyond the OPs abilities. If he has a computer and a vector graphics package - Illustrator, FreeHand, CorelDraw, or similiar - he should be able to produce suitable artwork. Failing that, there are graphics design bureaus/print shops, etc. who can do this sort of work at a reasonable price. A friend of mine got the junior at the local Kinko's to design his decal sheet!

Reply to
Mark Newton

I don't have any experience with the Alps printers so was wondering if a MD-2010 will print white?? Thanks

Reply to
mike

Nor do I, but I believe there is a Yahoo group dedicated to the ALPS printers, perhaps they would be your best source of information.

Reply to
Mark Newton

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:22:35 -0500, "DCC Models" purred:

I have made my own decals for years. It is a simple quick process.. One does need the right tools. You don't drive HO spikes with a 8 pound sledge and you don't make decals on an older ink jet printer. I use an ALPS printer and that works fine. They are available as imports or used on ebay and at many computer shows. Their process is completely waterproof and with used machines from under $50 they beat many "custom printers" (many who use an ALPS to make them) As a bonus ALPS can print in white or metallic colours. If you don't need to print white or metallics there is a decal paper available for laser printers or you can use one of the newer Epson printers which has water resistant ink. Both work fine. Years ago it was tough to make your own decals but technology has advanced and made home decal making practical and easy.

cat

Reply to
cat

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:47:25 -0400, "mike" purred:

Yep, mine does.

cat

Reply to
cat