KRYLON Fusion paint and acrylics

Anyone ever use Krylon Fusion plastic paint to paint plexiglass? If so how does it hold up.......or is there any other recomendations out there. I need to paint a clear acrylic plexiglass fish tank hood that I just custom made for one of my saltwater tanks. I culd not afford black plexiglass but had a heap of clear and smoked........Around here they will not cut a full sheet of colored pl;exi and its sold in full sheets only...$148.90 a sheet........

Previously I have covered the cler plexiglass in vynil contact material like they use to make those stick on decals etc, but this one is kind of complicated with lots of curves and ins and outs, and covering it wrinkle free would be a real pain in the backside. Thanks

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy

Can't give you any insight into the Krylon, but I can share with you about painting plexiglass.

Do it very slowly. Light coats. Let dry. Repeat. It runs really easy.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I tried the fusion paint on polycarbonate and was not impressed. It dries quickly but the fine print says that it takes about a week to reach full adhesion on plastic surfaces. Until then it is very easy to scuff with only normal handling. Even after the full cure cycle, it is still a relatively soft coating and can't stand up to any kind of abrasion.

Envir> Anyone ever use Krylon Fusion plastic paint to paint plexiglass?

Reply to
Tim Killian

Reply to
Gene T

I never had much luck with stuff staying on polycarbonate (Lexan) either, but the material I made the hood from is plexiglass.......which is a bit more capable of being dissolved by lesser strength solvents........ I know from past experieince, lac thinner will soften it, so maybe I may try some lac spray paint as a base coat, and follow up with the enamel........I sure do not need something thats going to take a week for a cure......I need it yesterday ;-) Guess its time to go experiment on some scraps and see what may or may not work........I sent email to Krylon inquiring on Fusion on Plexiglass, but if they hold true to the way most companies are it could take a week ot two if at all till I hear from them.