PAINT and glow fuel.

Any idea of a decent spray paint that is glow-proof from say..Walmart? I just spent a miserable evening stripping and sanding a Stinger .10 because the Krylon paint softened from one day of flying.

Mr Piz Toff, Esq.

PS...if you don't have a Stinger .10 get one. Use a .15 of course. More fun than the law should allow and on 3 oz of fuel!

Reply to
AV8R

Dupli-Color Truck & Van paint (11ox - 14oz cans) is fuel resistant to

15% PROVIDED the label on the can says it is acrylic. Be advised that most of this paint is a lacquer and should not be used over enamel (compatibility issues). The color selection is somewhat limited though.

From personal experience, the aluminum paint is almost an exact match for SolarTex silver covering and the Midnight Blue is extremely close to Ultracote Midnight Blue.

You should be pretty safe with the automotive paints provided they state acrylic lacquer/enamel on the label. SOME of the Rustoleum paints are also fuel resistant to 15% nitro. In any case, if you are not sure, do a test panel with the paint and after it dries expose it to glow fuel. Better to mess up a test panel (if you are not sure ) than the plane.

If you log onto RC Universe

post the question in the Questions forum, someone should be able to provide which Rustoleum colors are fuel resistant. For fuel PROOF paint you need a 2 part paint such as an epoxy, everything else is fuel resistant.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I wonder how long the Krylon cured before you flew? mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamilton

It cured a week! It's been decades since I had any real " dope" to paint with and I assumed the paint would work. I'll get some of the Duplicolor next time. The Stinger has those *@@(#@#&( !@ ABS plastic decks, etc and it's almost impossable to moneycoat over them. Next one, I'll cut foam decks and moneycoat it.

Otherwise.....a great flying little plane. If your glasses or contacts are good and clean. Blink twice and it's GONE.

Thanks!

Storm's Hamilt> > Any idea of a decent spray paint that is glow-proof from say..Walmart?

Reply to
AV8R

Try this and you will be a happy camper as well as a modeler;

Go to Brodak Models,

and buy yourself some dope. Don't forget to get some "Retarder" and thinner. Brodak has worked well with Randolph and their Butryate dope is the best you will ever use.

Cover your models with one of the "Tex" materials or similiar cloth. For a simple colorful and tight finish (cloth weave can be seen) a couple coats of clear followed by a couple coats of color, then a couple coats of mixed clear and color and you can fly fly fly. I suggest a week to cure but in decent wx. it dries fast even though I use retarder after the first few coats.

Now if you don't wish to dirty up your spray stuff for small jobs, drop by the Home Depot and pick up a couple of the PREVAL spray units. Great little fellows. They spray very well and make life easy. Acetone and /or lacquer thinner clean up things cheaper than dope thinner.

Reply to
cainhd

I just remembered....we've got two 30 gallon drums of butryate dope in a hangar at the airport. Cloth and paint is FAR too heavy for a 1/2 A Stinger .10. And dope of any kind will attack the ABS plastic Lanier uses for cowls, decks, etc.It's a foam core wing with open bays, so the fumes would melt it right down. No matter....I sanded all the goop off, and I'm going to cut some foam and sheet it to go back with rather than that crappy plastic. I love the little Stingers...I just hate to build one.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
AV8R

Stick a cheap brushless electric in its nose and paint it with anything you like. Dope isn't fuel proof either. You need a coat of 'fuel proofer' over it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rustoleum in the white cans. Label says, "Stops Rust".

--

Reply to
M-M

I'm really not crazy about electric. If you are..

" Norton.....have I got a DEAL for you" HEYYY RALPHIE BOY...whatcha got... " Norton...how would you like to have a NIB Parkzone Typhoon 3D two chargers andf 4 battery packs? Norton...It's NEVER been out of the box....

HEYYY, Ralphie BOY.... NORTON....you just hit the stick and BAM ZOOM....over the moon! NORTON....it's a $300.00 package! And it can belong to YOU!

I've got a NIB Typhoon and 4 nimh packs for it that has never been out of the box.. Comes with Xmitter, rec, everything. Be flying in 20 minutes.

I'll TRADE it for something interesting.

The Natural Philos> > I just remembered....we've got two 30 gallon drums of butryate dope in

Reply to
AV8R

OK, how about a 60 size stinger, with a Fut 6XS (3 mem) OS 60 pitts muffler. The intresting part is this plane might weigh as much as 20#, you might have to land it fast. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamilton

HOW? That plane should top out at less than 7 pounds! Did you pour the fuse full of lead?

Storm's Hamilt> > I'm really not crazy about electric. If you are..

Reply to
AV8R

I didn't build it, a guy needed money and..........., I'm a sucker. mk

Reply to
MK