Lister CS activities 1 (long)

Hi all,
Having got my newly sorted out workshop stocked with projects to the
point where, yet again, I can't move,
I've finally made a start on the Lister 10/2 'basket-case' acquired from Peter
F. Thanks aplenty are due to Roland,
Paul and Philip for help, encouragement and supplies of spare parts.
I've always admired the Lister Cold Start series and one has been on my mental
shopping list for a few years. There is a
feeling of reliable friendliness about Lister engines, and, while some folk turn
noses up at these 'common' engines, it
should be remembered Lister non-rarity is a result of being the most successful
producer in the British small to medium
SE market. Diesel engines also appeal economically to me, because running a
tractor as I do, red diesel is easily
available and pretty cheap. When Peter offered a twin version on the group, we
soon agreed on the sale.
Chunks of the engine were delivered over a number of months, as Peter's travels
and van space allowed. Finally, a few
weeks ago, the last instalment was exchanged at a mutual meeting point. Being in
many pieces, it looked like a lot of
iron. The effort of lifting the component pieces around the workshop confirmed
it was a lot of iron! The reprint manual,
states that the engine weighs about half a ton.
As many of you will know, the 10/2 is made up of two 5/1 top ends planted on one
crankcase. Later on the engines were
re-rated 6/1 and 12/2 respectively, without any major change that I'm aware of,
apart from engine speed. There is a lot
of information concerning these engines on Peter's website.

The first job was to organise the pile of bits to take the 'before' photos.
Having done that, then all the bits were
piled in a corner, so they didn't totally fill the now small empty space in the
shed. Then I roughly went through to see
what bits had fallen out of the 'basket' over the years. I think I've sourced
most of the missing bits now, bar a few
fasteners. A new set of top end gaskets was bought from A.T. Wildes of
Shrewsbury (two 6/1 decoke sets, to be precise).
Then I sent a letter off to David Edgington to find what history he had. It
turns out that it is a 1941 model,
originally sold to a farming family not five miles from where David lives.
The aim is to mechanically strip the engine completely. There is almost no
original paint left, and there is plenty of
surface rust so I will then electrolytically clean the castings prior to
painting. Four or five pleasant evenings have
been spent with soft hammer, spray can, gas torch and various other implements
of destruction, stripping rust-attached
bits from heads and crankcase, and cleaning up grotty threads. Injectors and
fuel pumps are living in a bucket of diesel
for the moment, until they receive further attention, and the same applies to
the pistons. In the past, when I've been
distracted from a job and left a piston with gummed-up rings in diesel for
several months, when I've come back to it all
the "gum" has disappeared. Hopefully, it will happen in the same way this time.
On Monday night the valve gear was
persuaded off, and the governor linkages were eventually removed, though I had
to drill out all of the pins they pivot
on. Then the camshaft end cover was pulled off to reveal the governor-end of the
very impressive two foot long camshaft.
I have now hit a major problem. The domestic authority has threatened to paint
the kitchen herself. She is no artist,
so.....when I get the kitchen painted, I'll carry on with the engine! ;-)
Regards,
Arthur G
Reply to
Arthur G
Had a look at the manual to see the engine - woo-hoo, serious bit of kit Arthur! Is for exhibition or driving a genny etc?
No pics yet then? Jenny won't mind whilst you take some, will she ? ;o))
regards,
Kim Siddorn.
Reply to
Kim Siddorn
Kim, I have done some pics and will post when time and paint allow :-).
Its beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder at present. As to the purpose, well, I'll get it running first and then decide what to do with it.
I currently drive a 30" circular sawbench with a tractor to produce logs for our heating, and an engine to do the job sounds a more pleasing arrangement.
Regards, Arthur G
Reply to
Arthur G
Arthur,
Sounds a great project, look forward to the pics. I have always liked the CS but have not really got the room at the moment, however........... I have just been offered a 5/1 Startomatic which looks by the photos the guy sent me tonight complete apart from the wiring from the Generator to the control box. Mine for free.....problem is going to be getting it back home, now who do I know with a Hy-Ab?
Reply to
Pete Aldous

Site Timeline