Lister CS History

Well, I got my copy of the new book....it's amazing. Best £12.00 I've spent in a long time.

Can't understand why it's on ebay for £14.99 + £2.75 when you can get it direct from the author of £12.00 including delivery AND a signature.

Keep up the good work Daved....much appreciated.

Alan

Reply to
Algernon

Same reason people but televisions from dixons, if they dont where the bargins are they will pay over the odds .

rgds bob

Reply to
Bob

Yeah, but don't you hate it when someone profits by doing nothing from someone else's work?

Shouldn't we help everyone to find the good guys if we can?

:)

Alan

Reply to
Algernon

Algernon... It depends how you look at it, the people who are buying said items from ebay might not of bought it at all due to them not knowing about SE mag etc. there for David E might in actual fact be selling more coppies of the book than if these guys where not getting involved, I dont know if david offers any bulk discount but the ebay folk are actually acting like agents for him. But i quite agree that it makes sense to but it straight from the horses mouth .

Best regards bob

Reply to
Bob

I know it seems rather like sharp practice to us, but - and I've raised this point before - as an author, my feeling is that if Fred Bloggs is buying lots of copies of my book ("Viking Weapons & Warfare" - Tempus) and flogging them on at in inflated price, the best of luck to him. After all, that's what all retailers do, whether they are selling Aardvarks or Zebrite.

A further point is that publishing a book usually means learning more about the subject as people from all over will e-mail, phone & write with stuff that you didn't know before. This leads to revisions & more photos & thus to a Revised Edition. But no one in their right mind is going to issue a revised edition when the earlier one is still on the shelves, so the quicker they are gone, the better.

Stationary engine transfers are another thing I've seen sold in large numbers on eBay. Whilst they last a long time on the shelf, they do age & trying to apply an aged transfer can be frustrating in the extreme.

Lastly, an increase in sales volume means an increase in financial turnover and any profit can be more quickly turned into new projects & an ever expanding range.

Perhaps a better way of looking at it is, as enthusiasts, we get a discount ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

My main motivation for writing anything for SEM is always the hope that others will add to it and I might learn something new, even if that means being told I got it totally wrong in the first place (eg the 'unique' Ingliss charging set!). It all helps to get more info out of that most ephemeral of repositories - the human memory - and 'on the record', which I believe is important.

Or perhaps "Never give a sucker an even break" - probably goes for the now traditional ebay bashing story in this month's SEM as well (ducks and runs for cover).

Reply to
Nick H