Lister CS crankshafts

Hi List,

Does anyone know the difference between a CS 3/1 and a CS 5/1 crank shaft?

Is it just the diameter of the big-end journal, hence different con-rods and white metal bearings for the 3/1 and the 5/1?

Any assistance appreciated.

Ken

Reply to
Ken_Boak

The later part nos for the cranks and big end bearings are the same whilst those for the rods are different. I would guess that the only difference between the rods is the width across the little-end (as a consequence of the different bore and thus piston-boss size). Worth bearing in mind that early 3/1 and 5/1 (about first two years?) shared the L crank with 1 3/4" main journals. IIRC when the CS switched to 2" mains so did the L. hth

Reply to
Roland Craven

Thanks Ronald,

None of my 3/1 engines are earlier than 1948.

The parts manual I have shows the following:

3/1 crankshaft 5-1/E101C 5/1 Crankshaft 8-5-I02

3/1 Big end bearing 5-1/D8A/9A

5/1 Big end bearing 5-1/D18/19

3/1 Con-rod 208/18

5/1 Con-rod 5-1/D5

Does a later manual show the crankshaft to be a common part i.e.

8-5-I02 ?

The Lister parts numbering scheme must have kept many a storeman puzzled, and many a customer bewildered.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Reply to
Ken_Boak

Nek Yes it does. Still later the 5/1 switched to steel-backed shell bearings which may well explain the other differeences. BTW I'm referring to the reprint manual/parts list available from

This whole area is Peter Forbes speciality so you will probably find more here

hth Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Are the (3/1 and 5/1) Con Rod lengths the same? Perhaps the stroke is slightly greater on the 5/1, requiring a different crankshaft?

Mark

Ken_Boak wrote:

Reply to
Mark Walker

My 3/1 dates to 1937. As a guess I'd say the big end dia will be greater on a 5/1 than a 3/1, I'll measure mine up. The strokes are the same for both the 3 and 5 @

5.5" The shells are white metal on brass/gunmetal/bronze on my 3/1.

for both the 3 & 5 (and for the 10/1!), so the difference could be just the big end od. Simon

Reply to
simon.wass

My big end diameter is 2.25" x 2.375" width, my father suggests the width of the big end bearing could also be greater on a 5/1 but having the same diameter, giving a larger working area.

Reply to
simon.wass

I'll have a look at the cranks we have in the workshop and see what size(s) they are.

Width should be the same.

Peter

Peter A Forbes