Re: Water-Based Paint and Flat Sheet

In an effort to get my nephew interested in modeling, we have built several models similar to yours. As for finishing, I begin with a coat of shellac to prevent the balsa from absorbing moisture. This, I follow with a coat of "bin" or "KILZ" primer as a grain filler, sanding well. I"m not familiar with Nelson's paints, but I use Krylon brand spray paints for the color coats. My final coat is of oil base polyurethane varnish, which serves as a fuel proof coating (the water based version was not fuel proof). One of my creations had a foam wing, which worked well. Here, I started the finishing with tissue paper glued on with thinned down Elmer's glue and followed with the finish process, above. All models have flown well and the foam wing worked so well that my next airplane will also have a foam wing. Hope this helps. Randy Maheux

I've got some Nelson's water based paint that I used on a polyspan-covered > model a few years ago. It worked great, and I'll use it again. > > But the next project is an all-sheet C/L model (like this one, >
only sized to fit > the engine). > > I have visions of building a nice flat wing out of 1/8 sheet, then having > it warp like a pretzel when I apply paint. > > Should I worry? Has anyone had any mileage with Nelson's or other > water-based paint on sheet? I'd love to use this stuff if it'll work as > well as good old dope, but I certainly know how to do a good job with dope > if that's the way to go. > > -- > > Tim Wescott > Wescott Design Services >
> Do you need to implement control loops in software? > "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. > See details at
Randy