Re: Water based spray paint?

Krylon makes a water based aerosol paint but it likely wouldn't be suitable for model work. Painting the base coat on structures etc maybe but not for fine work.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Smith

I did some thinking on your situation and remembered this. The only problem is that it might need more paint to operate than the 1 or 2 oz model paint jars.

What is the problem you're having using an airbrush anyway? What kind were you using? I used a badger 250 about a basic a airbrush as you can get and had few problems with it. What we do with airbrushes isn't that difficult compared to what illustrators use them for.

Are there any model railroad clubs near where you live? Maybe you could get someone at one to help show you what you're doing wrong with the airbrush.

Eric

Michael Powell wrote:

"Yes, that is correct. I have made many an attempt at airbrushing over the past 5 or so years, and have come to the conclusion that it is something I will never be good enough at. Bad thing to realize when you freelance. Thought I'd try something else. ;-)"

Reply to
Eric

Trust me, I have made enough attempts to know that sinking more money into airbrushing would be nothing but a waste for me. I have a car that I sprayed with a can that looks better than most everything I have airbrushed. I tire of it.

When I was much younger, I modeled cars. I have two GTOs that I hand-painted (with a brush) that show no signs of brush marks. I wish I remebered how I did it. ;-) They were the last two cars I modeled.

Bob May wrote: : Rattlecan painting is best left to the household stuff. Modeling needs a : much better covering of the surface with special paints that don't do well : with the huge splatters of the standard rattlecan spray patterns. Please : note that I say huge in a relative way. A single splat of a drop of paint : from a rattlecan is a huge spot on a model and that makes for poor coverage : of the model with a lumpy surface that you would find acceptable on your : patio furniture but not on the handgrabs of your model. : Go and get a good airbrush and thin the paint properly and you will find a : much better paint job done for your effort. Remember that most of the good : stuff that you see in pictures has been painted by somebody at home with a : decent airbrush and it looks nice. : : -- : Bob May : Why is there an Ozone Hole at the South Pole but Not at the North Pole? : Somebody's been lying to you! : :

Reply to
Michael Powell

Nope - not water based. Just uses solvents that won't craze plastic.

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian