Sand blasting venturis

Has anyone had any success in making a venturi that allows a high pressure water washer to be used as a water/sand blaster?

If so can anyone point me in the direction of dimensions as my two recent attempts have been sad failures.

Thanks.

Reply to
Roger Martin

so you basicaly want to build a home made water jet....?

Reply to
Mtlgd

Reply to
Machineman

Never made one. Did find one in Northern tool catalog. Is this what your trying to accomplish?

Regards

Jim Vrzal

Roger Mart> Has anyone had any success in making a venturi that allows a high pressure

Reply to
Mawdeeb

I have one made by Kew pressure washers for their range. The most noticeable thing is that it only works on 1/2 pressure, 750psi. This is governed by the nozzle size. The sand must be completely dry, so must the suction hose etc. Don't know details of internals as I have never stripped it.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Thats just what I need.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Sounds a bit complex, the units I've seen the web use the venturi effect to draw sand into the water stream - the sand is just a throw away. Ordinary silica (beach sand) can be used as the water prevents silica dust forming.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Is it effective? or am I wasting my time in trying to make one.

Reply to
Roger Martin

have used one once and that were not as effective that i tought prefer dry blasting instead but it was a small unit maybe a bigger one works better

d-racer

"Roger Martin" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
d-racer

It worked well enough but has a much greater range than dry blasting. Be prepared to get soaked with gritty sand. The old sand cannot be recycled unless it's collected and dried. The metal you have blasted then goes rusty before it dries. The used sand also has to be swept up. Don't wash it down the drain either. Be prepared for a lot of mess. You will have a total loss of the abrasive. The process is good for large items such as vehicles etc but a blast cabinet is better if you can get the parts in there.

John

Reply to
John Manders