Flamefast DS230 Ceramic Chip Forge

Hi

I have just got my hands on a Flamefast DS230 Ceramic Chip Forge. According to the plate on the frame it was manufactured in Jan 1987 but is in excellent condition.

I am trying to get some general information or manuals on it and have been in touch with Flamefast who say that although this forge is now obsolete and manuals are unavailable the spares, are, still available. They also said that they would be glad to help me with specific problems or questions, which is encouraging.

If anyone can provide any information on the use or maintenance of this article I would be very grateful. If anyone could provide photo copies of manuals or spec. sheets I would of coarse cover any costs.

Cheers

Ian Cardwell

Reply to
Ian Cardwell

Ian,

I assume the DS230 is a progression from the DS130 that I have and probably works in a similar manner. Although I have no manual, after a few exchanges with Tim Leech (who also has one) I've not had a problem understanding how it works. The air compressor feeds air to a venturi, that sucks gas from a 'zero pressure govenor' that is fed from a normal gas regulator. The gas air mixture is piped to the underside of a circular pierced ceramic tile which forms the base of the hearth. Sitting on this are the ceramic chips. As the gas burns it heats the chips and is used much like any other hearth.

Both Tim and I had problems with the zero pressure governor - my ceramic tile was blocked with crud, and I've had two failures of the coils on the gas valves - this over a period of maybe 10 years.

It is (now fixed!) extremely good and quite capable of melting 5/8" mild steel bars if left in too long

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks Andrew

After reading your explaination of 'how it works' I managed to get it going. Someone had been working at it and had disconected both solenoid valves. When I finaly figured out where to reconect them I discovered that the first solenoid valve was sticking which was easily enough cured. It certaintly puts out a lot of heat.

Anyway, thanks for your help

Ian Cardwell

Reply to
Ian Cardwell

Ian,

Glad to be of help.

Regards,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've got a ds330 forge and want to know if anyones got manuals for it as it's not working to it's full portential.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
steven.smith

replying to steven.smith, Edward Wallace wrote: Hi please can anyone sell me an instruction manual for the flame fast ds230 or explain how to get it working. I'd be eternally grateful . Thanks

Reply to
Edward Wallace

replying to Andrew Mawson, Dave crafting iron wrote: Hi Andrew Read your article regarding your ds 230 chip forge I have a problem with the initial start up I don't get any gas supply to the torch Regards Dave

Reply to
Dave crafting iron

Good heavens man that was 14 years ago !!!!!!!!!

In my case it was the zero pressure vale gummed up, can't ask what Tim's issue was as the poor chap is no longer with us :(

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Eternal September? :-)

Regards Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand

replying to Andrew Mawson, Paul wrote: Hi I see you have used a Flamefast. I have one that seems to loose it?s gas starts working fine for some times 1/2 hr then seems to loose gas could you explain where this zero pressure valve is or what it looks like please I know it?s a old post thanks if you can help

Reply to
Paul

replying to Andrew Mawson, Paul wrote: Hi I see you have used a Flamefast. I have one that seems to loose it?s gas starts working fine for some times 1/2 hr then seems to loose gas could you explain where this zero pressure valve is or what it looks like please I know it?s a old post thanks if you can help

Reply to
Paul

echo echo echo :)

A thread from 2004 !!!!!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

There's no peace for the wicked Andrew, even unto the grave.

Happy New Year Clifford Coggin Kent England

Reply to
Clifford Coggin

:)

But I do still have the Flamefast Ceramic Chip Hearth !!!!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

replying to Ian Cardwell, Stew2 wrote: Hi Ian I have also just got a 230 forge, did you ever manage to get any manuals parts book or operating instructions? The problem I seem to have is the forge seems solid in the bottom once the chips are removed so unsure how gas gets in. Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks Stewart

Reply to
Stew2

replying to Ian Cardwell, Stew2 wrote: Hi Ian I have also just got a 230 forge, did you ever manage to get any manuals parts book or operating instructions? The problem I seem to have is the forge seems solid in the bottom once the chips are removed so unsure how gas gets in. Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks Stewart

Reply to
Stew2

My (DS130 I think) Ceramic Hearth has a circular thick tile about 4" diameter with many perforations in a matrix. The holes do block up and need clearing on occassions

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson