McNeill's Latest "Column"

Here are my comments, sent to "Mr." McNeill, via email, about his latest farce a.k.a. District V Report in the April 2004 volume of Model Aviation.

***** I just read through your very brief report in the April 2004 issue of Model Aviation. Kudos, first of all, for actually having any planes pictured on your page!
In the middle picture in the right-hand column, I see two men and two planes. In the caption, I see two names and one plane. I have never seen a Fubar 1000. I wouldn't know either Ron or Ray if I met them on the street. Is it possible for you to clarify this mystery for me? Who's who and what's what?
Regarding the picture of "Kurt Reekstin" and his "SPAD-type" airplane. When you DO actually put an airplane picture in your column, you don't even bother to get the RIGHT information. The plane pictured is really a Balsa USA Stick 40+. Here is the Balsa USA website link:
http://www.balsausa.com/kits/kit.htp?id9&shopperid This plane is all wood construction. The fuselage is primarily four sticks of spruce with a plywood cabin to enclose the radio and support the wing. The vertical and horizontal stabilizers (the big flat thing and the big tall thing in back) are made of balsa. Here is a review of the Stick 40+:
Balsa USA Stick 40+ Trainer
Read the second paragraph closely. It mentions ONLY wood, no unusual construction materials. The closest this plane ever got to a "gutter pipe" was on the shop where it was built. The Stick 40+ has been in plan and kit production a helluva LOT longer than SPAD-types have even been imagined.
This is only the latest in your continual stream of inaccuracies, falsehoods and downright IGNORANCE of anything remotely resembling radio control airplanes. After all, YOU DON'T EVEN FLY.
*****
I'm real glad I moved to District IV.
Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
McNeill's total lack of knowledge regarding the issues facing modeling impacts ALL AMA members - not just those of us that happen to live in his district. This is probably what prompted Don Lowe, former AMA President, who has seen McNeill in action up close and personal on the Executive Committee to come out and publicly support* Tony Stillman in his challenge to unseat McNeill in this years VP race for District V. Now the question, will the EC block McNeill's attempts to manipulate the election by drafting a spoiler candidate at the last minute as he did in the last election? Have AMA members seen enough? Will they, regardless of the district they live in, support a change and campaign to send an experienced modeler to Muncie from District V? Are District V members tired of seeing their money spent on meaningless club of the month awards made to every club he happens to visit on his jaunts around the district. Had enough? THEN VOTE! -- Red Scholefield AMA 951 Dist. V Leader Member/CD
*To AMA members of District 5
The AMA has been with us a long time, since 1936 when rubber power and gliders were the only things around. The intervening years have seen dynamic changes in everything that we do including aero modeling. The sophistication of today's scene is miraculous, bringing with it the pleasure of participation and responsibility for dealing with its potential in this ever-changing world. In short, the leaders of the AMA must be knowledgeable, involved and equipped to deal with a very complicated aero modeling activity unimagined in 1936. We must walk a narrow path to promote burgeoning technology and yet mesh properly with the rest of society. Anything short of non-biased good judgment based on a background of involvement and experience is unacceptable.
Such a person with this involvement and experience is Tony Stillman. I have known Tony for many years and have always respected his knowledgeable cheerful acceptance of assignments to promote model aviation. His history of
involvement in conduct of championships, functioning as team manager, functioning as president of a national modeling association, election to the AMA Hall Of Fame and participation as a competitor is exemplary. We need Tony and more like him to lead the AMA in this complicated world. I enthusiastically support him for election as AMA VP for District 5.
Don Lowe former pres. AMA

farce
snip
falsehoods

rED,
I'm in D VI, what can we do to keep McNeill out?
Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

I don't know, Dan. I'd almost move back into Dist. V just to vote against him. You know people in this Newsgroup, elsewhere on the NET, and personally who are in Dist. V, I'm sure. Talk to them - lobby the cause.
BTW, McNeil has not answered my e-Mail to him yet. 4:00PM EST, 02/24/04. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Write to the EC urging a change in the nomination procedure to prevent incumbents from picking their opponents!
writes:

from
On 24 Feb 2004 20:12:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPOST (Dan Thompson) wrote:

You could contribute to Tony's campaign. Every little bit helps. Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust http://home.mindspring.com/~the-plumber
Wait a minute. I have been following this Jim McNeill thing, reading the posts, (Sometimes quite amusing) since I found this NG. Since I haven't had any direct contact with the individual, living just about as far away from him as you could get, and still be in the conventional USA, I reserved judgment. Did I read this right? This guy doesn't fly? Did he every fly? Does he know how to fly? Seems to me that a requirement for the job would be an understanding of the people you represent. IMHO. Bill

farce
Model
your
planes.
1000.
possible
When
bother
Stick
sticks of

The
thing
pipe" was

falsehoods
Did I read this right? Yup.
This guy doesn't fly? Nope.
Did he every fly? Not that I know of.
Does he know how to fly? I don't think so.
His main claim to fame is taking pictures of people at events. "I don't take pictures of planes, because I like people better than planes." - McNeill. And going to antique stores with his wife. Some of the inaccuracies in the picture captions may be accounted for by the fact that he sends his wife around to take down the names and information in her little notepad while he schmoozes votes. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Please don't take this wrong, but I have to ask; Are you people nuts? Why wasn't this guy voted out of office a LONG time ago? Does he have dirty blackmail pictures of the majority of the RC pilots in his area? Does he buy votes? He certainly does not keep his job based on his expertise of the hobby. The whole world wonders Bill

take
And
picture
take
votes.

Bill, he manipulates elections and the EC. Red S. knows more than I do, ask him what happens. I've been in the AMA almost 25 years, and in District V for 20 of those years, and voted against him every chance I got. I don't have a clue why he keeps getting elected, except for rampant apathy. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Truly amazing.

ask
for

Why
have
I'm new to this debate as well, though I already knew that this name was infamous around here. Let me make sure I understand this:
This gentleman has never been an R/C pilot? I mean, I know there are guys who fly for years, then stop, but remain active in the hobby, vocally. This isn't the case? He has never actually been active in the hobby hands on? If this is so, why WOULD he want to be intimately involved in the politics of a hobby he has never participated in? There has to be more to it than this.
Would $15,000 a year to spend pretty much as you please be of any incentive to a "retired" aluminum siding salesman who's wife is on a modest teachers pension?
And he has participated in "HIS" hobby - which is holding his seat on the AMA Executive Council for over a quarter century. It seems to be his whole life and he is not about to give that up without a fight.
Red S.

was
This
If

incentive
You're suggesting something pretty serious there Red. What you suggest borderlines on fraud, misappropriation and a half dozen other possible charges.
Can you prove it? Or are you just campaigning?
Chuck
McNeill claims two law degrees. With such he would take action if what I have reported were false.
Can you get a copy of his expense reports from Muncie? We have requested them but they (Muncie) refuse to release them. Check your laws on disclosure for non-profit organizations.
If McNeill thought he could make a case against me or anyone else that is aware of his malfeasance in office he would have done it long ago.
Others have filed formal complaints about his dereliction of duty as a VP with the AMA, but his protector has managed to fend them off. "You elected him, he is your problem."
Red S.

teachers
the
whole
Again, can you PROVE it Red? Reading all this about McNeill I have no doubt he is certainly past his time if indeed he ever had a time. But, all I see here is conjecture, stories and rumors. Nothing has really been documented and assembled to make a real case. This suggests the whole thing is nothing but sour grapes between the antagonists (you, Fred, etc) and McNeill. And it makes me wonder what your motives might be.
You berate him for his antique hobby. Does everyone here do nothing but R/C? Doesn't anyone else hunt, fish, golf or whatever? What's wrong with antiques? And what an opportunity to be able to combine the two hobbies in such a way! However, if he does indeed spend very little time at R/C events versus the antique shops as many of you have suggested. Without some documented evidence you guys are simply blowing in the wind.
If you really want to take him to task, organize and DOCUMENT it. Car and license plate arrival and departure times. Video tape him arriving and leaving with the tape date time stamped. Video tape his conversations. Especially when the tough questions are asked. Follow him to the antique shops. Make notes!
Otherwise this all appears like you guys are just making a grab for some power for whatever reason. And are ion fact really no better or worse than McNeill. Just different!

You must be one of his toadys.

No "if" to it. I've been in the AMA for 25 years, and in Dist. V for 20 of those years. I've always been active in attending Fly Ins, Fun Flys, and Giant Scale meets in Dist. V and Dist IV. I usually go to between 4 and 10 events per year. One year I got to 15! I've seen McNeill at a total of 2, that's right, TWO events in all that time. At both events he showed up early on the first day, stayed about an hour, then vanished. Now I know he can't attend every event in his District, but you'd think the law of probability would have allowed me to see him more than TWO TIMES in 25 YEARS!

No video tape needed. I've heard him in person. He is pathetically ignorant of anything concerning R/C or the current state of the art in ANY of the AMA categories or SIGs, INCLUDING his alleged area of interest, Free Flight.
It's people like you, with their blinders on, who keep getting McNeill re-elected. Or do YOU, as you've suggested about others, have some hidden agenda or self-serving interest in keeping McNeill in office? Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Nah, Driver... C.O. doesn't have a political agenda. He's shown his true colors in this NG time and time again... he's just a blowhard who loves to boast, brag, and argue. Simple(minded) as that. He doesn't have a clue, just a keyboard. His apathy and arrogance is indicative of the problem in DV, however. I believe there's enough of us who can see McNeil for what he truly is to finally replace him this election. We can make the C.O.'s of this district even more insignificant.
Vote Stillman!
Jack
I try no to reply to much of the hate and dissention here. However it would seem to me that instead of jumping on the person asking a question that you could direct him in the right way. I for one have been reading this news group for a long time. I'm not a heavy poster but I am tired of people that constantly try to be-little others about one subject. I think this runs people away from the newsgroup. I don't know if you have noticed but there isn't near as many posts as there were a year ago. Where have all the good people gone? Kinda makes me go hummm. I'm really getting tired of reading all this stuff and am my self wondering why I come here. I want to read about airplanes. Please step back and look at what we are doing to ourselves here. Eddie Fulmer AMA 63713 CD
Guess if I felt that way I wouldn't read it! Byeeeee
Efulmer wrote:

--
Mike Gordon AMA 320990
Remember RC Pylon Racing, the ultimate thrill, when Sex and Drugs just ain't