Water Column

Hello, my question is, dose any one know how much p.s.i. 40 inches of water column is? We made some pipe at work which is attached to a rather large fan and the air going through it is measured in water column and being a welder I relate to every thing in p.s.i. I would like to know if it a lot of pressure? Thank you Ed

Reply to
Ed Atyeo
1 atmosphere is 33 feet of water or 14.7 psi that makes the conversion 27 inches of water = 1 psi.

Your 40 > Hello, my question is, dose any one know how much p.s.i. 40 inches of water

Reply to
RoyJ

Let's see if I can calculate it :

40 inches / 12 = 3.333 Head feet.

3 HF = 1.203 P.s.i. .3 = 1.302 * .1 = .1302 .03 = 1.302 * .01 = .01302

Therefore 40 inches = 3.33 Head feet = 1.346 psi If I did it correctly.

Water is 62.5 # / cu ft.

As an example, 85.3 ft is 37.02 p.s.i.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ed Atyeo wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The calculation is simple if you know the density of water.

PSI = pounds per square inch

The question then is how many pounds does a colum of water 40 inches high, with a cross section ('footprint') of 1 square inch have?

If the above post is correct and water has a density of 62.5 pounds per square inch, then a one square inch colum that is one foot high has a weight of 62.5 / 144 = 0.434 pounds. (144 is the number of square inches on the base of a cube one foot on each side).

Hence, a 40 inch colum has a weight (per square inch) of 0.434 x 40 /

12 = 1.446 pounds. G
Reply to
Glenn

Reply to
Ed Atyeo

Well water is actually 62.43 but who is counting.

The table in my "Handbook of Applied Mathematics" listed 62.5 (assumed it states)

Glen was requiring specifics - but missed my typo.

the 3 HF = 1.302 as used below it twice over. I listed 1.203.

Then our numbers come out exactly.

The table of ten numbers were carried with plumbers (mostly big cities) and simple math was needed. - Shifting the decimal point and adding are needed.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Mart> Let's see if I can calculate it :

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn